post a photo of your first Motorized Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
Re: post a photo of your first MB

My first mb build was on a Mongoose paver that I had been riding for about a year...its a 7 sp.700c commuter bike that I got at walmart.....I put a grubee 66c and a nice saddle.....it was the first one Ive seen around here I was very happy with it and got lots of looks......since then ive built 2 more....a rust-o-mod and a point beach again from wallyworld
But my favorite ...like so many things....is my first. So I recently rebuilt it... added a springer front fork a slant high comp. head ,29"x2" schwable Fat Frank cream colored tires , a scooter brake lever with a switch for the brake light.....running lights and a thick black paint job...
Think I will always love this bike best....................j

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida

members that have been here a while post a pic of your first attempt with an MB.
here's mine, it was from an old mountain bike i found in the trash

2009 Schwinn Skyliner....built with the help of RedB66..August 2009..been hit 3 times and other ( but few ) problems....recently replaced cassette....frame is solid as a rock despite the hits.....same motor....2000 miles so far....I'm very happy with it ....

Salty.shft.

Attachments

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida

I embarress myself enuff already.:)
Marts,
NEVER be embarrassed by first gigs....that's how we learn.....I didn't have a clue with my first build....I was lucky to have a friend help me ( RedB66...whom is a moderator here )....don't hesitate to ask for help....we ALL do at times......

Salty.shft.

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az

This bike was built in 2007, it is now on its second motor and has over 10k miles on it, i have changed the bike quite a bit in the last year with some high end parts such as rims, a disk brake sprocket adapter, seat and it now has saddle bags and jims cnc intake from pirate bikes,

Clotho

May 25, 2008

This was my first. Built in 2004. 50cc of unknown origin on a Jeep Commemorative edition cruiser of unknown manufacture. (probably Norco) Notice the lack of suspension. Something I fixed on later bikes. This bike is still running. Actually all the bikes I have built are still running. 3 different manufacturers on 4 bikes.

My nephew rides it now. His dad rides a Harley and thinks it is a very cool bike.

Attachments

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA

This was my first. Built in 2004. 50cc of unknown origin on a Jeep Commemorative edition cruiser of unknown manufacture. (probably Norco) Notice the lack of suspension. Something I fixed on later bikes. This bike is still running. Actually all the bikes I have built are still running. 3 different manufacturers on 4 bikes.

My nephew rides it now. His dad rides a Harley and thinks it is a very cool bike.
To see a seat molded within that design would even be more amazing.

Clotho

May 25, 2008

I learned a great deal from that bike. That frame is too small for me. If I had attempted to mold a seat into the rear fender it I wouldn't have been able to ride it at all.

I had lots of problems with rear tire flats due to the improperly fitting frame.

My current bike fits great, rides great, looks great. All because of this first bike and the lessons learned.

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland

Wow Clotho, I've never seen anything like that before! How did you make that fairing - is that fiberglass?

If you have the pictures and the time, would you be willing to make a post on how you did that? I'd love to blend the tank and the frame on my own bike like that...

eric parker

Dec 19, 2009
milton.ga

my first build,,
This my first MB build. It's a Huffy Cranbrook with Creative Engineerings rear hub adapter and a lot of help setting it up from Outrunner. She started right up and I'm waitin' for better weather to get more
ride time and break it in good. I'm useing Amsoil Dominator Synthetic mixed at 40:1 ratio.
Crazy Eric's Bobber

Attachments

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State

This is my first build...a Kaluhna or something like that!! It was green when I bought it. Rode it for about two months then ended up putting the motor on the red stretch in the header. Looking through my photobucket pictures to find this one has led me to the conclusion that I must really like those headlights.... I've put one on just about all of my builds.

Just found this post from Dec. 29, 2007. I think we had about 5-10 members then.
http://motorbicycling.com/f15/first-build-43.html

Attachments

Last edited:

Clotho

May 25, 2008

Wow Clotho, I've never seen anything like that before! How did you make that fairing - is that fiberglass?

If you have the pictures and the time, would you be willing to make a post on how you did that? I'd love to blend the tank and the frame on my own bike like that...
Well, It's a stupid amount of work.

Yes it is fiberglass. First you fashion the plug which in my case was solid bondo. I covered the bike in Saran wrap and gooped the bondo into place. Then filed and sanded the bondo till I was happy with the shape. Some artistic ability and experience helps with this part.

After you form the plug and you are happy with it, (it must be smooth like an automobile finish) You wax it with mold release wax and cover it with gel coat, then fiberglass and resin.

After it hardens you release the plug from the mold. Then prep and wax the mold.

Then the same gelcoat/fiberglass and resin process to create the finished pieces.

Below is a picture of the 2 plugs. The molds from them and then the finished pieces from the molds. This was my first attempt at this process so I'm sure someone more experienced with fiberglass can point out lots of mistakes but I was pretty happy with the finished product.

It was expensive and it took much work however.

Attachments

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii

Ive already posted a pic in this thread...but when i thought about it I actualy motorized my first bike back in 1973....Does this make me the O.G. ....lol.....I had a motor that I mounted to the front fork of my Schwinn supersport....It was called "Chicken power" I think I saw an ad in the back of Popular mechanics....Anyways I dont have a pic of my bike but i did find some pics of a bike very simular....think it may have been about 30-40cc....it was a friction roller drive that was engaged by a lever after the bike got rolling.....note the can used for a gastank....i remember it worked well but it dident seem to catch on....perhaps becouse gas was 70 cents a gal.

Anyone else remember these things?.......J

Sharksfan

Nov 28, 2009
San Jose, CA.

The teal bike was my first. It was an 80s-ish Murray. It bit the big one because of a bent rear wheel. (amazing what the vibrations from something like that will do. It shook the frame so hard it broke in two places and almost broke it in a third) Live and learn. The beautiful black beauty is a Nirve Classic with the same engine on it. It rides like a dream. I commute 30 miles a day when the weather permits. Thanks to all of the members here who have helped with my build..rd.

Attachments

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

I've had this up here before, but here's an evolution-

Micargi 7 speed

then added BMX bars and shock post

then shock fork and 1.75 tires with 36 sprocket

then 27" front wheel with Campy brake and poo poo pipe (quiet!)

with billet intake and new NTS66 carb

I'm probably going to change the back wheel to a 27 too next. It runs real well, and sounds like a moped!

1.jpg

xct2 we're running with the shadows of the night...

Attachments