no spark?

GoldenMotor.com

jbabb

Aug 3, 2009
usa
I was riding my Boy go fast today. Generally I run it to work and back ( 10 miles each day ) noticed lately that the carb seems to be loading up (flooding) and running gas out the back as well as running poorly. I got a new carb....still same problem. Back to today,Was running fairly good, then it just died like it was getting no spark. an I can't get but an occasional spark when I put it up on the bench and turn the wheel. I know that my other bikes have no problem showing spark when I do this.

I can't find the coil or magneto grounded anywhere?

Is a bad coil common on the cheep Chinese kits....Never had a problem before but who knows without asking? Also, how do I fix it? should I replace the magneto as well. I am not sure how to check the magneto and coil separately. So I am not real sure which it is;magneto or coil?

Also could poor spark cause the carb to flood? As you can tell i know just enough to get me in trouble!

Thanks for your help, This forum has helped me many times.

Jay Babb

:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Jay,
Let's start simple. Check the spark plug wire connection at the CDI. Make sure it is screwed in tightly as well as the connection in the plug boot end. Check all of your other wiring for good connections. The kit supplied wire is okay but the spark plugs are not the best. Most of us run the NGK-B-5 or 6 plug instead of the one that came with your kit. Autolite and Champion also make plugs that will do the job. You'll want the plug gap to be about.020 to .028. That is a good starting point.
A misfiring plug will not cause the carburetor to flood. That is usually due to a float that is set too high or a needle and seat that is not functioning properly. The float is attached to a needle valve which seats in a brass part, the seat, and shuts off the fuel flow when the carburetor bowl is full. If a little piece of crud gets in the seat it will keep the needle from closing like it should and the carb will flood/leak. Get back to us after you've checked these things. We'll get you going.
Tom

Last edited:

Yoshua

Oct 18, 2009
New Zealand
Hey had the same problem with mine out of the blue she was dead not a peep. Long story shot dont by a new CDI or what ever they are. Check you solder points coming off the magneto that's were my problem as the blue cable was still connected but had a dodgy connection.

If you have voltmeter thing use it to check the resistance of the connections or take your plug out hag you bike from a tree turn over the motor with the pedals and check various points along the connections for life

I put my money on the dodgy solder unless you were riding in very wet conditions with an unsealed CDI