Obviously I'm Stupid

GoldenMotor.com

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Hi everyone,
I've only built up one bike and am always tinkering with it....so far it has NEVER failed me ....but....the kit I'm using is the Zoom Black 49 slant head.....and it did not include an intake manifold gasket which I didn't even know was supposed to be there....or is it ?....do most kits include one and if I'm not using one is it going to f#*k up my motor ?...I have almost 1000 miles on it so far.....I'd appreciate any feedback y'alls

Thanks!
Salty.shft.

Last edited:

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I went to a automotive parts store and asked for gasket material for small motors. They showed me 3 rolls of different thickness's. I chose the middle one and it has worked fine. I made an exhaust gasket which is holding up well. I'd guess its about the thickness of a cereal box. The gasket that came with the motor lasted no time at all.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I went to a automotive parts store and asked for gasket material for small motors. They showed me 3 rolls of different thickness's. I chose the middle one and it has worked fine. I made an exhaust gasket which is holding up well. I'd guess its about the thickness of a cereal box. The gasket that came with the motor lasted no time at all.
Thanks Mart!
I really appreciate your response......what I'm not understanding is....are these kits SUPPOSED to have an intake gasket ?.....bottom line is that's neither here nor there ....but if they ARE supposed to have one why wasn't mine ?......

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
these kits do include intake and exhaust gaskets,mine came with extra gaskets.
but they get old and you have to replace them and i just make my own out of a roll of gasket material.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
these kits do include intake and exhaust gaskets,mine came with extra gaskets.
but they get old and you have to replace them and i just make my own out of a roll of gasket material.

Thanks Cabin........I reckon I'll go down to the auto parts store and see what will suffice.....the thing that perplexes me is....I've not had an issue with no intake gasket.....so I'm thinking that adding one will increase the performance.....is that right ?

Thanks again,
\ Salty.shft.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida

Mart....do you know if the same material will work as well on an INTAKE ?.......

Thanks, Salty.shft.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yeah, you shoulda got one with your kit. if your bike doesn't have an air leak, you're lucky. it won't mess up your engine if it's sealed, and you'd know it was leaking. it'd be revving high, or sputtering, or not even running at all.

just go to any auto parts store and ask them for the grey gasket maker stuff. they'll know what you mean, and give you a roll for a few bucks.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
yeah, you shoulda got one with your kit. if your bike doesn't have an air leak, you're lucky. it won't mess up your engine if it's sealed, and you'd know it was leaking. it'd be revving high, or sputtering, or not even running at all.

just go to any auto parts store and ask them for the grey gasket maker stuff. they'll know what you mean, and give you a roll for a few bucks.
GAWD !......catch-22 here.......I've not had any issues....1000 miles and running like a Patton tank....my thought was....if it aint broke...?....

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
so get some gasket material just in case, and don't fix it till it breaks;)

LOL !....I hear ya Baird!....but so far no one has answered the main questions.....f*#k my motor up ?.....increase performance ?.....I really do appreciate all the responses....thanks Y'all !

Laters,
Salty.shft.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if it's not leaking, you'll motor will be fine, and it won't affect performance at all.

i'm kinda surprised that you don't have an intake leak at all. you say your bike runs great, no strange idle problems? no sputtering? no whistle noises?

they are designed for a gasket, just like any engine part that requires a seal, so it's weird if yours is metal to metal and works fine.

the gaskets really simple. it's pretty much the same as the exhaust gasket, just a different material.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
if it's not leaking, you'll motor will be fine, and it won't affect performance at all.

i'm kinda surprised that you don't have an intake leak at all. you say your bike runs great, no strange idle problems? no sputtering? no whistle noises?

they are designed for a gasket, just like any engine part that requires a seal, so it's weird if yours is metal to metal and works fine.

the gaskets really simple. it's pretty much the same as the exhaust gasket, just a different material.

Seriously.............not a single issue......no whine...no sputtering.....no whistles ( but I'm high deaf ...so I may not be able to hear a high pitched whine )...idles quite well...( unless I happen to not be attentive at a stoplight and am leaning on the throttle....)....the bike works perfectly.....seriously.....

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
salty got no gaskets , cabin got extras , seems to me salties gaskets fell into cabins box by accident , c-mon cabin , give salty back his gaskets .
Hahahahaha.....OMFG !........why hadn't I thought of it that way .....LOL....sadly though...no one has told me I'm not stupid...( frowns )......

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
OK. You're not not stupid. (double intentional)

Some people prefer not using a gasket if possible. Like if there's two surfaces of the same material (aluminum to aluminum), and if you can get a near perfect fit, like by using sandpaper on a plate of glass, then it might be one less thing to fail (gasket). But with a gasket, you don't have to wonder and worry about leaks if the fasteners are tight.

Don't expect any performance change. It's more a matter of burning up an engine if you get an intake leak.

Last edited:

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
The material I got would be fine for any surface on a motor and I was thinking the same thing already mentioned that the mating surfaces of your manifold are probably good enough no gaskit is needed.