loose\tight chain mick29

GoldenMotor.com

mick29

Jun 8, 2009
Salisbury East
I have just boght a 40 tooth rear sprocket that bolts to a carrier on the rear wheels hub The carrier was machined to fit the hub exactly wich it does I spun the wheel to check the sprocket runs straight and true [ couldnt fault it ] fitted the wheel and chain but the chain still goes tight and then loose tight loose could it be the front sprocket? any ideas thanks mick29

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I have just boght a 40 tooth rear sprocket that bolts to a carrier on the rear wheels hub The carrier was machined to fit the hub exactly wich it does I spun the wheel to check the sprocket runs straight and true [ couldnt fault it ] fitted the wheel and chain but the chain still goes tight and then loose tight loose could it be the front sprocket? any ideas thanks mick29
Tight loose tight loose chain is usually the rear sprocket not centered on the wheel or hub.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Mick,

Yes: the engine sprocket can cause this problem too. The tooth profile is not formed correctly on most of these engines.

I would also check the chain for tight spots and flatness. I've had a few new kit chains that were slightly twisted. When the twisted section goes around the sprocket the chain will get tight.

I wanted to be able to offer the steel engine sprocket, but the bore and keyway sizes vary from one manufacturer to another.

If you determine that the chain is o.k., and the engine sprocket is in fact binding with the chain...I can make you a new engine sprocket with the correct tooth form...if you can send me your original. The turn-around time will be several weeks, as I would have to make it during a break in production.

Jim