pedals won't clear the motor

GoldenMotor.com

mark skywalker

Aug 21, 2009
hollywood
oxycotin? i'll try that. jk. it's a 2 stroke, the pedals just need to come out half an inch more so i can pedal

also, i don't need a special tool to get the bracket off do I?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

o_O

No - I'm joking lol, there are aftermarket crank sets available from some of this forum's sponsors, but I'd try just looking around for different arms as you do have a 3-piece. My friend's build had the same problem, it was only 1/8 inch - but we dug up a set of pedals and arms from a junker bike we had in the yard. You could heat & bend as others have recommended - but I'd not do that as a first choice. It's almost impossible to get them bent the same, or true for that matter and that's something bound to annoy you as you ride and they "woggle" around.

Last edited:

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008

o_O

No - I'm joking lol, there are aftermarket crank sets available from some of this forum's sponsors, but I'd try just looking around for different arms as you do have a 3-piece. My friend's build had the same problem, it was only 1/8 inch - but we dug up a set of pedals and arms from a junker bike we had in the yard. You could heat & bend as others have recommended - but I'd not do that as a first choice. It's almost impossible to get them bent the same, or true for that matter and that's something bound to annoy you as you ride and they "woggle" around.
you might have problems with the muffler also...size of crank has to be longer and the crank arms about 165...that will be shorter than the 175s on there now...i thought about a race bike ...let us know how in works out...its going to be fast...nice looking ride...Dennis...also talk to jim from manic mechanis, he might be able to set you up with a different mount for the engine...one that is moved over a little...but if the engine is inline with the back sprocket?????good luck...Dennis

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The problem is that it is a "light weight" bike... it's much narrower than most bikes.
I think if you just use the cranks & spindal from a regular size mountain bike, it will solve your problem.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
That looks real good, but that crank won't fit on his bike... (it has a small bottom bracket.)

Most new 1-piece cranks are wide enough to clear the engines & only cost around $10.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Also that's a steel crank. I don't thing he aluminum arms would take kindly to heating and bending.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Geez louise if the crank's alloy get new ones, if there steel bend em! obviously that crank pictured is for someone elses bike and was a pic of what to do to yours.

cobrapowered1

Aug 23, 2009
North Carolina
I had the same issue on my road bike as well. I made a front mount block out of wood and covered it with Thermo Tec Header wrap ( just in case) and slid rear mounting up higher with a perfect fit. I use a plate attached to motor and a fence U-bolt to hold it .

Attachments

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
I had the same issue on my road bike as well. I made a front mount block out of wood and covered it with Thermo Tec Header wrap ( just in case) and slid rear mounting up higher with a perfect fit. I use a plate attached to motor and a fence U-bolt to hold it .
pretty quik bike...?...27 inch wheels..hows the tires and rims holding up...wouldnt mind tring a bike like that...Dennis