Exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

93KHJFRK

Mar 16, 2009
The OC
Hi,

I just bought a new Schwinn Del Mar cruiser from Wally Mart and have started some prelimenary hook ups. The exhaust pipe/muffler is too short, hits the frame and left pedal. Instead of welding a length of pipe to extend it, I heard there's a muffler called a "poo Poo pipe". Sounds disgusting, but it looks like it might work.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike.wee.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Depends if you want to spend the money on the pipe, its there but im sorry i dont have the link . But I did see it the other day. if ya wanna go cheap just use a hammer and a couple boards and bend the pipe any which way you need to and alittle heat also helps . There are many many things you can do to your exhaust to make it fit , basically it is just a piece of metal that is movable if ya want it to be .

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Hi,

I just bought a new Schwinn Del Mar cruiser from Wally Mart and have started some prelimenary hook ups. The exhaust pipe/muffler is too short, hits the frame and left pedal. Instead of welding a length of pipe to extend it, I heard there's a muffler called a "poo Poo pipe". Sounds disgusting, but it looks like it might work.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike.wee.
Yeah I have the infamous Poo Poo, got it from bike engines.com. I think it ran me $50 with shipping. Looks SO MUCH better than the supplied exhaust. See attached.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here is an example of a home made 'poo poo' pipe. Some 3/4" electrical conduit, a conduit bender and a welder is all you need. The Schwinn cruiser frames often do not allow the use of the kit supplied pipe and muffler without a little modification. Here was my answer to that problem. The pipe is supported by a hidden bracket that uses the kickstand bolt to hold it. Hope this helps.
Tom

Attachments

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Here is an example of a home made 'poo poo' pipe. Some 3/4" electrical conduit, a conduit bender and a welder is all you need. The Schwinn cruiser frames often do not allow the use of the kit supplied pipe and muffler without a little modification. Here was my answer to that problem. The pipe is supported by a hidden bracket that uses the kickstand bolt to hold it. Hope this helps.
Tom
Tom, I am glad you posted that picture. I was working on #5 today. It is a Giant Mt. bike chrome moly, but the down tube is really good sized and has been a pain to work around. I will probably end up doing something similar to what you have done. Everything I tried today didn't quite work.

John

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom, I am glad you posted that picture. I was working on #5 today. It is a Giant Mt. bike chrome moly, but the down tube is really good sized and has been a pain to work around. I will probably end up doing something similar to what you have done. Everything I tried today didn't quite work.

John
John,
That conduit, (emt) is easy to work with, bends nice and welds okay if you grind off the galvinize. I used my mig and it came out okay with just a little grinding and sanding on the welds. Good luck. I'd like to see what you come up with.
Tom

Last edited:

93KHJFRK

Mar 16, 2009
The OC
Hey Motoschwinn,

On your rear sprocket, did you mount the sprocket with or without the rubber donuts between it and the spokes? I'm having interference between the sprocket and the bearing dust cap.

Thanks all for the suggestions regarding the Poo Poo pipe. The 3/4" conduit I can get easily.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Hey 2door, that is pretty close to what I did, except I used and arc welder as I was not interested in setting up my tig welder ,so it was alittle more challenging to weld the EMT together. Mine is abit differant than yours but same general idea. I added another tip muffler also just for looks . It is fun to watch smoke come out the end of the pipe like a real motor Bike :)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/yocommander/bikemods002.jpg

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Well Tom here is what I ended up with. Don't have any idea what it will sound like? The little shortened muffler tucks right under the bottom bracket. I just need to make a little hanger for the end. I usually drop it through right by the kick stand bolt. I am just about finished with this one, then I am done building for a while. I have four now, after the one I sold. I am going to figure out which two to keep and sell the other two.

John

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Well Tom here is what I ended up with. Don't have any idea what it will sound like? The little shortened muffler tucks right under the bottom bracket. I just need to make a little hanger for the end. I usually drop it through right by the kick stand bolt. I am just about finished with this one, then I am done building for a while. I have four now, after the one I sold. I am going to figure out which two to keep and sell the other two.

John
John,
That looks great! It'll be interesting to see what our creations sound like. I'm hoping mine will be even quieter that the old bike. It's quiet until I really wrap on it then it makes a little more noise than I like but I rarely get on it that often.
What pipe did you use? I tried buffing a short section of the galvanized emt and was surprised at how nice it polished up. It probably won't stay that way but when I take my pipe off I'm going to spend a little time on the buffing wheel and see how pretty I can make it. I had some 3/4" stainless tubing but when I tried to bend it with a conduit bender it was going to take more poop in the jeans than I had. (tough stuff) so I settled for the conduit. If it works out like I hope I might have it Jet-Hot coated in that near-chrome stuff. Thanks for sharing. Looks good!
Tom