Think on these things

GoldenMotor.com

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
In my neverending quest for mental exercise, I came up with a couple of doosies.
I have had a new 12-1/2hp Tecumseh vertical drive motor with electric start sitting in the shed for years. I also had accumulated most of a riding lawnmower in parts for it with no interest in doing it..
I stumbled on a right angle gearbox of about 1:1 and wheels turned. If the motor was mounted in the mower frame and my Comet VST connected to the right angle box, I would have a horizontal shaft to drive my Cushman wheel and am not too sure the hood wouldn't provide most of a scooter body with a seat inset into it. I think I even have 2 hoods,so maybe both ends of a bod are there. A swing arm could be mounted on flange bearings on the sides of the chassis. Just about any coilover could be used to spring it. I have gobs of surplus 16 ga. left from the Lotus 7 clone build that would supply the front assembly. An outboard lower unit would also provide a right angle drive so a vertical motor can be used.

The other idea is a Zero Max speed reducer I have somewhere in the shop. It is a wierd thing that drives the output shaft from nothing to 1:1 in the same direction regardless of the input direction. It's done by a bunch of fingers that I have long since forgotten the principle of. It could be driven about 6:1 by the engine using a freewheeling device and no clutch would be necessary, just zero it out to sit. Use a twistgrip for the ratio control. A Vickers hydraulic transmission would do the same if you could afford it. I had one once and was going to build my son a powered unicycle with it but never did. It will go to 1:1 in either direction.laff

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Sorry it boggles my mind. lol send pictures as you go though for those of us who are mentally and mechanically challenged.