What would be the best grease/oil for chains, crank & wheel bearings

GoldenMotor.com

John Robertson

Nov 5, 2013
Gretna, Louisiana
I just purchased a new Huffy Nel Lusso.. I removed the wheel bearings and the bottom bracket bearings and they barely had any grease on them. I used Coastal Uniplex Premium Hi-Temp grease for automotive wheel bearings. I'm sure that it will be fine. So what does most motorbicycle builders use ?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i use "red and tacky" wheel bearing grease for my wheels. it's a thick, heavy duty automotive grease. lasts a long time, and since the wheels are spinning 5 times faster than they're designed for, it seems like a good choice to make them last.

for the headset and cranks i use whatever i have laying around. they don't get as much abuse, especially the bottom bracket.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
i use "red and tacky" wheel bearing grease for my wheels. it's a thick, heavy duty automotive grease. lasts a long time, and since the wheels are spinning 5 times faster than they're designed for, it seems like a good choice to make them last.

for the headset and cranks i use whatever i have laying around. they don't get as much abuse, especially the bottom bracket.
Exactly!!

I also use the Lucas "Red n Tacky" for everything on my bike except the chain. For the chain, I use a dry lube made for garage door rollers.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
For bearings I use automotive grease. And I'm sure I'd be fine with any of the products listed above.

But your title also mentioned chains. And for that, I use....get ready......Armor-All.

I can hear the laughter. But this stuff is really, really good. It coats metal with some sort of stuff that keeps is from rusting. My chain stays clean and the links don't bind. No rust.

Every now and then I'll put a little thin motor oil on my chain just because I kinda feel that I ought to. I always regret it when I look at my chain and it looks as though it's been used to scrape the sand on the beach.