shiny side in? wont work. can i do shiny side out ???

GoldenMotor.com

abefroman

Sep 13, 2013
new orleans
gasbike kit on my genesis astra 29er - I put the sprocket on the hub - center hole is a perfect fit to the hub, but when I put the shiny side in, the chain is NOT in line with the drive sprocket - it's too far out. If i put the shiny side out, it's almost perfectly in line. The chain is close to the spokes, but does not touch the spokes. clearance between the chain and the frame, and the clearance between the chain and the tire is just about perfectly centered with the shiny side out.

the kit instructions INSIST that you HAVE to put the shiny side in, but that doesn't work for me.

If I install the shiny side out, is this a problem ???

cheers

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I doubt if it could be a problem. I've always installed these sprockets whichever way gives the best clearance and it's never seemed as though they couldn't go either way.

And you'd think that a shiny side would be there for looks and should go to the outside anyway.

Maybe the instructions were translated badly?

(The moment I got that question typed out, the answer in my head was. "Like that's never happened before". I think I'm about convinced.)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It makes absolutely no difference which way you put the sprocket. As long as you install it correctly with the rubber sandwiching the spokes and it is centered on the hub and doesn't wobble, you can have shiny in or out.

There ought to be a law against translated instructions. Barring that the kits should come without them. They cause many more problems for new builders than they solve.

Tom