modified exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

cumminsbayou

Feb 25, 2013
fairhope alabama
The guy i got my bike motor from drilled some holes in the muffler on my 49cc chinese motor on my bike. Now i love the sound of a 2 stroke but don't really like the way it is, and seems like a lack of back pressure. I am wondering can i take apart the pipe and cut it out and weld the holes up he drilled in it and it sound good or will it be to loud and not worth it and even less back pressure? I don't mind loudness and neither do the people i live around as i live in alabama. But i would like to take it apart weld the holes up and stuff some steel wool in it. but don't think it will be very good on the motor. So can i stuff the muffler with steel wool and it would be healthy on the motor?

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
If it's a black cat muffler, it can actually benefit from the holes in the exhaust. I know mine would accelerate like a bat out of he11 when I get on it. Most of the "muffler" is actually in the tail cap as the restriction. Would it sound good stock? No. It sounds like a neutered weed eater.
I drilled out the main hole in my cap to make it sound better. If you gut it I guess you'd get some more power out of it as long as you kept the cap on the exhaust.