Hub mounted sprocket with disc brake- Good drive /rear brake solution?

GoldenMotor.com

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
I see Kings custom sprockets sells hub mounted freewheels/sprockets, and top hat adapter that would allow to mount a disc brake. Does anyone use this type of setup and if so do you like and recommend it?
The only downside to using a hub mounted sprocket that I can think of is that it doesn't allow for adjusting the chain to line up between the wheel and motor sprockets like a hub/sprocket adapter can. Mounting the sprocket directly to the hub seems like a good idea but good braking options are limited.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have a top hat adapter. It bolts onto the hub in place of the brake disk. It's imo the very best sprocket adapter on the planet, but you have to have a wheel with a disk brake hub to be able to use it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The AGK sprockets are made of aluminum and bolt directly to a disc rear hub. No top-hat adaptor needed. Very sano.

dnut
The only problem with that is it puts the sprocket too far outboard for a china girl. The top hat adapter moves the sprocket inboard from the edge of the disk hub, and you can adjust even more with washers.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm using a qmatic...do you think I'll still need the top hat adapter (I already have it, but just wondering if you know off hand :))
I've only used a top hat adapter on a china girl. Ask Scotto about a 4 stroke, he's expert.

I think he was pointing out you can just use a sprocket without the adapter on your bike.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The only problem with that is it puts the sprocket too far outboard for a china girl. The top hat adapter moves the sprocket inboard from the edge of the disk hub, and you can adjust even more with washers.
You can mount the sprocket in or outboard on the top-hat if you run no rotor and have the space can't you? I had the problem of the sprocket (AGK) bolted directly to a Halo disc hub with 135mm spacing being to far outboard. I had to correct the problem by adapting a deep dished moped sprocket to the hub. It's always something ;)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've only used a top hat adapter on a china girl. Ask Scotto about a 4 stroke, he's expert.

I think he was pointing out you can just use a sprocket without the adapter on your bike.
Bolt it up however and then check your chain alignment. Adjust from there, you may need the top-hat, you may not.