Blue smoke from a new Honda GXH50?

GoldenMotor.com

DragonSlayer

Jun 14, 2012
Arizona
I just finished building my first motorized bicycle. It is a GXH50 on a friction drive. I have warmed up my Honda GXH50 twice now. It has not been ridden because I am recovering from being ill. The second time (today) I noticed that there is quite a bit of blue smoke coming from the engine. This seems strange because it has not been under any load as of yet. I have the fuel tank close to carburetor level and the fuel pump is not working well enough to keep the engine running without jacking up the front tire 10”. I am worried that it may have run lean during the warm-ups. But I do not think this would be a problem in the short warm-ups I have done. I did not notice any overheating. I have owned many Hondas in my life and have never had one that smoked when it was new. Is it normal for a new, un broken in GXH50 to smoke? Also, this pump looks just like the GXH50 pump but it is not a Honda part. Is the engine too small to run this crank vent fuel pump? I have tried it with the vent directly into the pump, no exterior vent other than the pump vent. Completely open T connection. And several degrees of resistance. with the same results.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
You need to stop doing the warmups and actualy put a load on the engine! A new engine, purposly, has a sorta rough crosshatch hone on the cylinder bore to make the rings wear slightly and conform to the bore and obtain a good seal.
By starting and running the engine without a load, the crosshatch will smooth out, and the rings will never have the optimum seal, and the engine will suffer in performance and longivity.
Synthetic oil during break-in has also been proven detrimental to getting good ring seal.

I'm not sure about your pump/ vent problem, but 4 strokes are rather resistant to damage from running lean for short durations, especialy only warmups.
I would suggest not running it anymore unless I was gonna drive it. If it don't seem to run good, try adding some choke control and see what it does, and diagnose from there.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
A load on a motor takes the chatter out of new piston rings. It holds them still and lets them train/wear mate to the cylinder nicely. No load and simply idling or reeving a new motor will let chattering occur and the wear mating surfaces will be compromised a bit. After the rings have broke in and seated to the cylinder. ''wear mated'' this is not a problem.

Just that this is a pretty much universally accepted form of new motor break in. I concur and thought to add to WayneZ's reply.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
when i did rebuilds in engines where i used to work,i would warm it up,check the levels and drive it.the intrepid 3.3's had a piston slap issue,and had to replace pistons/rings under warranty,i'd take them for a drive-straight out onto the highway.

any small block chevy i did - same thing,except i'd drive it kinda hard out the door.
they all held up good.

to idle a new four stroke for any extended period will slow the break in procedure.
camshafts need rpms to seat properly too.

work it,but not wide open for extended periods.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
IMHO, don't even bother starting it unless you're gonna ride. Like others here have said, you need to put a load on that new engine.

Warm-up isn't necessary unless it's below like 50 degrees, and even then, a minute is plenty.

DragonSlayer

Jun 14, 2012
Arizona
Wayne z, I hope and believe that you are right about these cylinders being produced rough for break-in porpoises. I have had many new Hondas in the past ( Three cars, three motorcycles and two outboard motors. ) and I’ve never seen one smoke when new.

I am using 30 weight oil on the first run (had no other oil at the time) but will change to 10W 30 at the next change. I will not use synthetic for the first 10 - 20 tanks of gas. I thought I would warm it up a couple of time before my first ride. I will not start it again before the first ride except to test he fuel pump. I know how important warm-up is with a strait rate oil. I will change oil after the first ride.

I hope I will not have to remove the tank and attach it to the top of the engine before the ride. It is a lot of work switching it back the way I have it now. And the engine is SO TALL with the tank on, it looks like a 250cc! :).

The pump I installed is; Manufacturer; WALB, Product # FPC-1, whatever that is. It looks like the one for the GXH50 and Wards Lawn Power EQT said they thought it is the same company that make the Honda pump, I don’t think it is. I hope they will allow me to return it. It’s been almost a month since I bought it, 80 miles away in Gilbert AZ. I won’t be able to get back there till the 27th. Does anyone know the part number for the Honda pump and how much it could cost?

DragonSlayer

Jun 14, 2012
Arizona
I looked in the parts manuals for the GXH50 type engines and found these fuel pumps listed;
16700-ZT3-300 for serial number extensions of QHA, QHE or QHM
16700-ZT3-013for serial number extensions of QHA, QHA/A, QHA/B, QHE, QHE/A, QHE/B, QHM/A
16700-ZL8-013 for serial number extension of VSW4
My guess is that 16700-ZT3-013 is most likely the correct number. But that is only a guess.