HuaSheng or Honda?

GoldenMotor.com
May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
So I've finally gotten the money and I'm about to purchase an engine. I think I've decided I want the Qmatic transmission because of reliability...but I'm not sure what engine to get.

This is going to be my daily commuter...probably putting ~20 miles on it a day so I need serious reliability.

What are the benefits/drawbacks of getting a Honda vs. a HuaSheng? I'll be buying a kit from BlowByU and I'm not sure which to get. I've heard that the HuaSheng has less power and needs to be upgraded from AGK. But I don't know how big of a job replacing a cam is...

So what do you guys think?

Thanks!

BE-tech

Sep 14, 2011
Bozeman
While the Huasheng motors are really reliable (extremely reliable for a cheap chinese motor- azbill on this site has 17,000 + miles!), the Honda will be even more so. It is just overall higher quality- every piece of metal, plastic, mold, cast, etc. is of better quality and has a lower tolerance for what gets pushed down the production line. Note that most recommend immediately replacing the carb on the Honda. (not sure if that is linkage related or because it is a water pump motor and the carb is for idle - load operation only.)

The Honda has slightly more power due to a very small difference in stroke, which also ups the compression. This and the combination of every component being slightly higher grade gives you increased performance and reliability. FYI I personally have not ridden them back to back to verify actual performance difference.

Since it sounds like you will be commuting on the bike regularly, the extra money spent on the Honda is probably worth it, but I'm sure you would be happy with either one.

Do some searches on the site and I'm sure you'll come up with more info and opinions

BTW the cam swap is pretty simple if you have any internal motor experience. Just make sure you pick up some Hondabond or permatex gasket maker and that it is timed right when it goes back together. AGK might have a how-to on their site and I'm sure would help you out if you have any questions.

Last edited:

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
The HS is pretty reliable,,,
I put 17,000 miles on mine and never even pulled the plug, just changed the oil and filled the gas
the Honda carb will need to have a throttle linkage either fabbed or purchased, whereas the HS is good to go right out of the box

upgrades are not necessary, but some like the extra oomph ;)
you will be happy with the Q-Matic, whichever engine you decide on :)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
For daily comuting, get the Honda. If you are just cruising and running errands, the Huasheng will do the job for less yen.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've put miles on both the GXH50 and the HS - the HS is a great motor IMO. I don't think the GXH50 is worth the extra $130+.
Sometimes the GXH50 costs twice as much or more. I honestly don't think it's twice as good as a Huasheng.

The Honda will be a little quieter and make slightly more power, but it's just as susceptible to damage from overreving as the HS. In fact, my brother's GXH50 needed a rebuild before he hit 2K miles on it. Either way you go, if you keep the RPMs under 8K and the carb clean, the engines should run a long time.

May 9, 2012
Jackson, TN
So...it sounds like the HS is a perfectly good engine...and you're right...I could buy a brand new engine for the difference in cost! :)

So I'll go with the HS and then upgrade it later if I need more power :) ...how big of a job is replacing a cam btw?

Thanks everyone for y'all's info and opinions!