Vintage pics

GoldenMotor.com

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Yes i know what you are saying about German engineering, you just have to look at The World Championship of Bike Building, the European countries build understated, well engineered, beautiful machines..... while the Americans usually build hyper colored, unridable, unimaginative and overstated choppers, and therefore very rarely (not sure if they ever have) won the event.

Needless to say i favour the European bobber bikes rather then the fugly American choppers.

Wasnt aware what the BMW engines were, but now i know they are 2 cylinder...... Ive been in love with this BMW bobber forever, just beautiful..... is this the same engine?

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=c...3&tbnw=185&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0
I'm not sure if it's the same generation engine or not. BMW, like many European and Japanese motor companies, tends to refine and expand on an exsisting design rather than invent totally new ones every couple of years. That one looks to be a pre "airhead" design. These were mid 50s to late 60s...might have spent it's early years behind and earles fork.

As for fugly (I'm surprised to hear that term coming from your part of the world....thought it was American) American choppers, I don't like 'em either. It seems like everyone around this part of the country either rides a Harley or wants one....except me. If not for resale value, I'd say they're worthless....I wouldn't mind throwing a leg over a Buell, but I wouldn't spend the money on an HD.

MHF

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm not sure if it's the same generation engine or not. BMW, like many European and Japanese motor companies, tends to refine and expand on an exsisting design rather than invent totally new ones every couple of years. That one looks to be a pre "airhead" design. These were mid 50s to late 60s...might have spent it's early years behind and earles fork.

As for fugly (I'm surprised to hear that term coming from your part of the world....thought it was American) American choppers, I don't like 'em either. It seems like everyone around this part of the country either rides a Harley or wants one....except me. If not for resale value, I'd say they're worthless....I wouldn't mind throwing a leg over a Buell, but I wouldn't spend the money on an HD.

MHF
probably best to distinguish Harleys from choppers. Not all choppers are Harleys, & not all Harleys are choppers :)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia

MHF
Ive always said the same thing about Harleys. They do hold their value but they are way too dear for someone like me that doesnt have a spare $20,000 plus. And honestly there arent many Harleys id be happy to ride without heavy modifcation. Id much rather sink my money into a Yamaha XS650 or similar for about $5000 or less, and it would be a much more reliable bike..... only downside is the lack of the V-Twin sound........ some day soon when i hone my skills on these MB ill build a Japanese bobber style bike.