Best frames for the "vintage" look

GoldenMotor.com

Roch48

Dec 27, 2011
Boston
I' trying to get a old school looking board track racer built for myself. I've been contemplating it for awhile and I now have a good reason for the build.

What I need to know...
1. What are the best frames for these?
2. Anyone in MASS know anything about registering one for street use as a motorized bicycle?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
"Best" is a relative thing and there will of course be different opinions. A lot of people start off with a Worksman Newsboy frame, usually modifying it so that there are more engine options. In it's stock form there is barely enough room to squeeze in a China girl motor. My own preference would be on older Schwinn straight bar frame as found on the Panther which has more room for an engine without having to alter the frame. If you can weld then more options open up for you being able to alter frames to suit yourself.
SB

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
"Best" is a relative thing and there will of course be different opinions. A lot of people start off with a Worksman Newsboy frame, usually modifying it so that there are more engine options. In it's stock form there is barely enough room to squeeze in a China girl motor. My own preference would be on older Schwinn straight bar frame as found on the Panther which has more room for an engine without having to alter the frame. If you can weld then more options open up for you being able to alter frames to suit yourself.
SB
I am with Silverbear on his frame choice....Schwinn straight bar

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I also agree with SB. and as far as the law go to the local DMV the should have a book on it or do a web surch on motorized bike in your state..............Curt

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
anything pre-WWII. old Monark frames have a look resembling a Flying Merkel, and most straightbar frames (frames with the second top tube underneath) from that era look good with in-frame tanks.

and, they don't just look vintage, they are vintage.

you can find them on craigslist and ebay pretty easy, usually for a lot less than you'd pay for something new, and it's usually better quality than anything new, even if it's been rusting away in a shed for 50 years...

Roch48

Dec 27, 2011
Boston
I think I found an Indian frame.. Potentially.. Going to take a look next week. thanks for all the help. I'll keep all that in mind.

I found out I would need a "Moped" sticker in MA. Apparently that covers motorized bikes as well.