1984/85 Univega Gran Premio Yardsale Purchase

GoldenMotor.com

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Has anyone ever put a motor on one of these if so what was the outcome Not sure I want to though,
After looking up this bike it seems it is worth a lot more than I paid for it ..E.G. the rear Derailleur is going for #199 on eBay new

Last edited:

whitey

Mar 7, 2010
Western Australia
I have, and it turned out very well. I did have to upgrade the rims to something stronger though as stock ones aren't up for the added weight of the motor and the faster speed you will reach. Does the bicycle have Campagnolo components? if so then DO NOT motorise it

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Wow that's pretty cool huh what are the pointing round pipes exiting the heads? Exhaust I'm guessing kind of close to the foot or is is some type of compression release for starting easier? Beautiful intake huh all polished aluminum. Is that a Univega Miyata frame?

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
If it's in good shape I'd refurbish it a bit and either use it as a road bicycle or sell it as vintage. The fixed gear guys would like the horizontal dropouts. It'd be a shame to trash it with a motor, they're made lightweight with small diameter tubing and skinny tires and 27" wheels aren't gonna be the best for motorizing. A cruiser or mountain bike frame makes a better platform.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
No doubt it is, nothing personal, sometimes motors get discussed and sometimes bicycles get discussed. Vintage is vintage in either case. I restore a lot of vintage bikes so pointing that out might help someone confirm value where it exists. Forums are open discussion, not everyone will have nor should be expected to have the same opinion.

They fetch the best prices in 52 to 58cm sizes, larger frames a bit less.
http://for-sale.yakaz.com/univega-gran-premio

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Oh, sorry.....I thought this was a forum for motorized bicycles....my bad.
Look "Motorhead" I was getting some sound advice from the pro's on whether or not to put a motor on this bike. And "Happy", with his sound advise swayed me to NOT put motor on it. . Thank you "Happy" you seem to understand what I was trying to achieve. Yes it is a Motorized site as you are well aware of. Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thats a nice bike. I could go either way motor or not. Where on Capoe Cod are you located. Im in Plymouth.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
No kidding Chain , I was born in Plymouth. I currently reside in Bourne Small world huh? Ummm actually no it isn't... I never understood that statement either because it's a big M.F' world and it's by far the biggest thing all of us will ever touch in our entire "Small lives" so to say "Small world huh" is just plain dumb I don't see how they ever came up with that statement just by two people running into each other & from here on out I will never use it again.LMAO LOL my wife just read this and almost peed her self laughing.

P.S. My name is Richie Nice to meet you Chain.
Ahh Plymouth ...America's home town 365 fresh water ponds . "One for each day of the year" . Plymouth also has the cleanest ,freshest aquifer in the entire country , granted the PH is low but that the same no mater what aquifer you pull from. the days of a perfect 7 PH are long since gone Thsnks mostly to the industrial revolution. & pine trees

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Wow did I get off the topic up^ there^ or what ?? Loony tunes huh? I just also found out that this bike has a "Miyata frame" I guess they are well sought after by the Touring cyclist for what ever reasons .

My neighbor has a Hard Rock specialized and a Diamond back something Mt bike. I want him to sell me.. He never uses them and they just sit out side collecting rain in the bearings and it kills me to see this happen. So much potential just wasting away there.
Too bad I'm not a thief

.xx.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Miyatas are fine frames. I used to have a Miyata road bicycle I bought at a garage sale for $30.
It was a fast pedal bike, being so light. I got it up to 55MPH down Harwood Rd in San Jose/Los Gatos!

I agree with HappyValley, I wouldn't motorize one tho. If you must motorize a road bike, I think one of the older Peugeots or Raleighs or Schwinn Paramounts would be better suited.