Compression Issue

GoldenMotor.com

Rallyfish

Jun 23, 2011
Iowa
Hello,

I started working on bike for myself a few weeks ago in the planning stages and started getting down to business in the last few. The project has taken off and is in the final stages of assembly. There is an issue however. The motor that we are using is a 63.3 cc motor from a PB-751T backpack mounted leafblower. The motor is incredible and sounds great. The motor had no problems starting up attached to the leafblower itself but when transfered to the rig that I have set up will break the pullcord after a few pulls. There is what seems like too much compression. It is HARD to spin the friction drive tube that we are using. Sorry I don't have pictures for you to look at but its not quite ready to be exposed yet.

Details on the issue are as follows. The motor ran fine when in leafblower form. When the harness etc. was removed and the motor mounted to our assembly the flywheel was kept but the turbine removed and a bicycle peg that we modified was attached. That was literally the only change made. And no it is not intrusive the mechanics of the motor. Or maybe it is and I am missing something obvious... The plug has been replaced, the carb has been cleaned/replaced, gas tank has been drained as well as new lines, exhaust has also been switched out, electrics still work, spark has been checked and confirmed. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
To check if the problem is compression or mechanical binding, simply remove the spark plug. The crankshaft should then rotate with no effort. If it's still hard to turn start looking for the reason.
If compression is the cause, consider yourself lucky.
Tom