Getting bearings out

GoldenMotor.com

Farthom

May 16, 2010
Canada
Is there a trick to getting these buggers out? (The crankcase bearings)
Which direction should I be hitting them? Into or out of the case?

I plan on replacing them, and I can't for the life of me get the damn things out!!

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Push the bearings towards the inside of the case.
You could heat up the engine case to expand it, and put some cold water on the bearing to contract it, and then try pushing it out.

Farthom

May 16, 2010
Canada
What kind of tricks should I use to get the new ones back in? I've practically destroyed this bearing trying to get it out (which is ok, since I am replacing it) and it hasn't even budged!! Given how much of a beating its taking to get it out, I dont know how I'm going to be able to apply the same amount of force trying to get the new one in, while not destroying the bearing in the same way.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
well just make sure area the bearing goes into is clean, and if the bearing is to tight goin in you can use a bit of emry cloth and carefully and evenly sand down a littlebit (emphisize on the litle bit) of the material from the crankcase and use some lube on the surface, also very important when installing new bearing ony push them in by theire outer race, if you put lateral force on the inner race it could/will damage the bearing and it will fail prematurely!

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
To get the new bearings in, you can put the bearings into the freezer, so that they contract, and heat up the engine case so that it expands, and then the bearings will go in easier.