Help: Clutch Removal Problem

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I hope this is the right place for this?

I am trying to put a centrifugal clutch on my bike. I have the new clutch and the removal tool. I can't get the old clutch plate off. The removal tool couldn't get it loose, all it did was strip the threads on the bolt part! Does anyone have any suggestions? I can put up a picture if it will help any.

Terry

spacey

May 7, 2011
springfield, oh.
I feel your pain Terry ,

I was trying to fix the basket gear free play , same problem. I decided to live with it for now. You might want to search the posts and see if anyone has removed it by using the puck slots for leverage with a wheel puller ?

Keep us posted if you have any success .
Mark

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Why do you want to remove the clutch plate? The centrifugal clutch assembly goes in place of the small gear. The rest of the clutch is left intact so that you can still pedal-start the bike.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Why do you want to remove the clutch plate? The centrifugal clutch assembly goes in place of the small gear. The rest of the clutch is left intact so that you can still pedal-start the bike.
Your right. Just another time where I didn't watch what I actually had to do. Sometimes I get ahead of myself. Thanks!!

Terry

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
When you install your centrifugal clutch, note that it is press-fit onto the taper of the crankshaft, there is no Woodruff key, or keyway locking the two together.

There have been cases of the clutch assembly slipping on the shaft and machining away the taper. There are some posts here in this forum about that.

You then have to machine a keyway into the clutch and install a Woodruff key onto the crankshaft to get it working again.

I bought my centrifugal clutch separately and did the keyway modification right away, and have had zero problems.

I post this info, just so that you are aware of what might happen, and how to solve the problem.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Rohmell, thanks for the info. The shaft for my small gear has a Woodruff key sticking up already. I took it out because my clutch has a bolt that will hold it in place. Maybe something fairly new? I should be able to add some Lock tight to the bolt and be good to go. What are your thoughts on this?

Terry

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Hi Terry,
That is the way the centrifugal clutch comes. It is just a taper fit onto the crankshaft, and you tighten the bolt down, and it forces the CF onto the taper of the crankshaft and locks the two pieces together. I think Loctite will help keep the bolt tight.

When I installed my CF, I test fitted everything on a spare crankshaft I had before installing into the bike, and when I went to install it, wouldn't you know it, the taper on the engine's crankshaft was different than the taper on my spare crankshaft, and the CF was up too high it was hitting the new cover for it.
I had to use the Dremel to remove some of the taper from inside the CF, and while I was at it, I added the keyway slot.
After all that was done, it went in good, and the final few turns of the bolt seated the CF onto the taper fully home, plus the Woodruff key is in there to prevent any slipping or movement.
I have had 100% reliability with this setup so far.
I am very happy with the CF setup, and all my future builds will have one.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I have the CF on now. But (there is always a but) with the cover on and hitting the CF I still have about 1/8th inch gap. So I need it to go in more than an 1/8 inch. I'm to the point that I feel I should not tighten it any harder. It may be just me. I don't want to twist off the bolt.

Terry

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
That is what happened to me, so I had to Dremel the CF a little bit and remove some of the taper so that it would slide further onto the crankshaft.