check this chain

GoldenMotor.com

haste

Aug 2, 2009
af
how much more does it need to be tightened? On my 2nd chain and afraid to shorten it too much.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A lot.
With the clutch engaged, roll the bike forward and check the slack in the upper chain run. You'll want 1/2 to 3/4" of slack. More than that and you're asking for trouble.
In addition to tension you want to make sure the chain path is true between the engine drive sprocket and the rear wheel driven sprocket.
The tensioner bracket needs to be attached to the chain stay so it can not move or rotate inward into the spokes.
There are hours of reading here regarding that tensioner. Use the search feature at the top of the page, keyword, 'tensioner' and see what others have done.
Good luck.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I run mine a lot tighter than that but they only last about 200 miles.
Try replacing the chain with a good industrial grade #41 chain.
You might also check your alignment. If the chain is being pulled off to one side that can cause wear. The teeth on the rear sprocket can also cause problems if they are rough. I like to dress up the edges of the teeth of a new sprocket with a metal finishing pad or wire wheel prior to installation. The sprocket will run smoother and quieter if the teeth aren't so sharp edged.
Are you lubricating the chain? Chain saw bar and chain lube works well as does many lubricants. Riding in a dusty/sandy environment can also cause premature chain wear.
Tom

haste

Aug 2, 2009
af
I'm about to give up. The 2nd chain broke after trying to start it. Rode it last night for 2 minutes before the chain came off motor sprocket. Then later the tensioner popped and bent a spoke. Also the metal around front sprocket is chewed up now from chain coming off. Wish there was someone local who I could pay to fix it to ride!

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Dude, you're using standard bicycle chain - what do you expect? Get #41 or some 415.

As well, you need to be sure you have good alignment - onto and off of your drive and driven sprockets.

If you want to find someone to fix it, find some local motocross riders in the area and offer them some money to help you out.