wow.. where to start?

GoldenMotor.com

Tanker77

May 5, 2011
Houston, Tx
I've been considering finding an old Schwinn (or newer vintage style) and starting a small project with my son.

After reading through this forum for a few hours, there seems to be quite a bit more to doing a motorized bicycle project then I realized.

I figured going 2 stroke and keeping it as simple as possible (and cheaper the better) would be best. This will be more of a toy then a daily rider.

Some of the posts kinda scare me off china motors : /

Any pitfalls I should watch out for? or just friendly advice?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I've been considering finding an old Schwinn (or newer vintage style) and starting a small project with my son.

After reading through this forum for a few hours, there seems to be quite a bit more to doing a motorized bicycle project then I realized.

I figured going 2 stroke and keeping it as simple as possible (and cheaper the better) would be best. This will be more of a toy then a daily rider.

Some of the posts kinda scare me off china motors : /

Any pitfalls I should watch out for? or just friendly advice?
I have built 5 projects/4 engines all with China HT engines. There is not one I would take out of the box and install. There are a number of inexpensive mods that I really feel that needs to be done. I built my first project with my son and not only was it fun but we spent quality time building the build, and then I had to build one for myself. We often go riding together (95% of the time). I do mine right and takes about 2 days to complete. Anyone building one in a few hours I feel is junk. As far as the engines are concerned, for the price you really can't beat them. I've had very minor problems with the 5 kits I bought. Had a magneto go out day one (the company wouldn't take care of it). The last time I buy from "luckyearlybird". And had a bad aftermarket head gasket that trashed the cylinder, piston, and rings.

Go for it...it will be fun.....

dance1
http://s982.photobucket.com/home/Ron-Becker/index

Last edited:

Tanker77

May 5, 2011
Houston, Tx
Nice to see words of encouragement heh.

What mods would you recommend?

Also, I checked out your pics of the cruiser and was curious what the boost bottle does? how's it work?

Thanks

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
I won't make it sound easy, it really isn't "that easy" I too thought "hey, bolt this baby up and we are off and running" but no. These are cheap engines that need to be spruced up a bit before they actually perform well.

So far I never got mine started which I think is do to a screwed up magneto rotor key. It is sloppy and makes the timing weak. I'll fix that and see what happens...Also you have to ditch the stock gaskets and hardware. Head bolts, mounting studs head gasket and manifold gaskets.

It sounds discouraging, but it's worth the effort and it really is a "hobby engine" rather than a Honda that even has a 10 year warranty or something. It takes more effort than what is described, but like many told me...when it finally fires off, you'll be overwhelmed with satisfaction.

Also..many have had good luck in getting an engine that starts right up with no problem.

Go for it..it's inexpensive to do and we'll help you get it going.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tanker,
I hate to see anyone "scared off" by some of the information you might see posted here. The Chinese 2 stroke engines admittedly are not Hondas or BMWs. They are an inexpensive, fun way to motorize a bicycle. The level of mechanical skill displayed by the builder is an important factor in determining the success of the build. Yes, occasionally people get a lemon but the majority do not. You'll read far more horror stories than posts about the successful conversions. That's human nature.

You'll also see people telling you that you'll have to replace all of the fasteners/hardware. You'll read that you should disassemble the engine and do this and do that but there are thousands of successful bikes out there, built by mechanics and weekend novices alike that are running just fine with the kit supplied parts. You'll be told that the sprocket adapter method, commonly called the 'rag joint' is junk and won't work. BS. Installed correctly the rag joint/spoke sandwich will serve you well and in spite of what you'll hear, does not damage your spokes or cause them to loosen or bend.

What we see all too often is a rush to push aftermarket parts and accessories on the new builder by guys with limited mechanical abilities and want 'goof-proof' parts to bridge the gap between their skills and what is needed for a successful bike.
Do some more reading, explore your options as far as vendors are concerned and look for a reputable seller who offers a warranty and someone you can contact if you do have a problem. We always suggest to shy away from the cheap ebay sellers who might, or might not be around next week, or when you need them.
All of the sponsors you see down both sides of this page have good reputations for customer service. Choose wisely, take your time with the installation and feel free to come here for help or advice on your project.

Concentrate on the basics for your first bike. Stay away from so called 'performance' parts to make you go faster. Keep your first build simple and you'll be better off. If you're like most of us, you'll be building another one soon, then you can tinker and play with the hot rod stuff.
Enjoy this with your boy. You won't regret it.
Tom

Tanker77

May 5, 2011
Houston, Tx
Thanks for all the advice all. My son and I are going to hit up the flee market this weekend to find an old bike frame.

Thanks again!
.we.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
You will have a blast! I hooked up a stock engine to an old 70's model AMF/Roadmaster bike and it worked great right out of the box with a mix of weed eater oil and gas. I broke it in with a few tanks of gas at 24:1 and then went to 32:1. Since then I've done several modifications etc.. to both the bike and engine but that being said the initial experience was really cool! Mine still has the majority of the original hardware etc. Just take your time on the build and ride safe.