Problem with throttle

GoldenMotor.com

Tsbrunell

Apr 22, 2011
Harford County, MD
I just finished my engine kit about a month ago, had it running fine, but now i'm having some problems. I have the stock throttle on my bike right now, and it seems that before last week when i twisted the throttle all the way, the engine would run at full power. Now though, its like the engine has more power when i only twist it 1/2 to 3/4 of the way, rather than all the way.

I thought that maybe i just need to get a better quality throttle??
Also, would using a break handle for the throttle make it more sensetive and easier to use? What are the downsides of using a break handle?

Thanks-

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
To start, a higher quality throttle wouldn't be a bad idea regardless.

You just need to adjust your throttle cable at two spots. One where it's coming from the grip, and the other at the top of the carb.

Tsbrunell

Apr 22, 2011
Harford County, MD
hmm, i just checked the cable on the carb and the throttle, the connection spots seem to be nice and snug. The nuts are tight, what else should i be looking for with the cable?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
The only thing I myself can think of to check is your throttle's slide barrel in the carb and make sure it's not stuck.

It sounds like you have a nonproblem though. Generally, if your throttle cable was stretching, you could turn the grip all the way to max and it wouldn't be max rpm. As long as you're not LOSING what your peak power output is, it's nothing to worry about, just adjust the throttle cable to reflect full power at full grip rotation. If it's a new motor, it could just be a symptom of it breaking in.

That is if I'm understanding you correctly in thinking you get FULL power, just at 1/2 twist on the grip. If I'm wrong - you COULD be bogging down from an abundance of fuel through the carb. I'm thinking maybe air restriction? Check your choke to make sure it is fully open, clean your air filter (dish soap, water and dry it is fine). What's your oil ratio? Might need to lean a bit. Even try different settings on the slide needle to reduce the amount of fuel to keep it from just bogging.