new motor clutch bugs

GoldenMotor.com

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
got the new motor on bike. every thing is lined up nice and straight. tried to get it fired up. expecting that there will always be some kind of issue. turns out over night my clutch handle got incredibly stiff. it took the use of both hands to pull it back to a locked position. not safe while riding right. so i'm wondering how to fix this. i've done multiple adjustments to the clutch cable to compensate for a bit of stretch. do i tighten or loosen the flower nut? play with the cable some more? it also seems that when i did release the clutch the piston would not turn right away. i had to keep pedaling for a bit before it would fire. once it did it was four stroking like crazy and would not idle. i kinda figured the poor performance might be due to not understanding this carb yet and that it was 40 degrees outside.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
ok check all the clutch components. it def shouldnt take much effort to squeeze lever. if your looking at the arm of the clutch from a top view the end of it should be at around 5 o clock. to achieve this you squeeze the arm in and with right hand tighten or loosen flower nut till arm is clocked. secondly the idle screw needs to be turned in not sure on the cns but std carbs are usually backed out all the way out of the box. the idle screw that is.

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
i got impatient last night and played with the flower nut, clutch plate. pretty sure i got that figured out. i didn't help the tension though. typed in tight clutch in the search bar, and pulled up some very insightful info on the main clutch spring. this would be my third motor,and the first time i've had this kinda problem. i'm going to put an old clutch handle on. one that i know works. if that doesn't help then i will loosen the main spring. fingers crossed huh.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Yes, one of the engines that I worked on the clutch was so tight that I had to use two hands to activate it, definitely not correct.

Locked the slotted nut with a pin punch that is inside the clutch thru the threaded hole that holds the cable adjuster and rolled the bike forward a little bit, it released some tension on the main clutch spring and problem was solved.

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
turned out to be the clutch cable. for some reason the stanchion thingy makes so i can't zip tie the cable all nice and clean looking. worked just fine on my last motor, but this one doesn't like any sharp bends

captainmorse

Nov 12, 2010
S.E. Florida
Rohmell hit the nail right on the head with your problem...Buy a cable lube tool. they are cheap and super helpfull in applying lubrications to all sorts of cables. Harbor Freight
carries one that is pretty good.
CM

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Rohmell hit the nail right on the head with your problem...Buy a cable lube tool. they are cheap and super helpfull in applying lubrications to all sorts of cables. Harbor Freight
carries one that is pretty good.
CM
Cable Oiler Clamp

Web site says price is $4.99 but when I picked one up recently, it was only $2.97, maybe they are closing them out?

Last edited: