Tire size question:

GoldenMotor.com

daledoo

Jan 16, 2010
West Palm Beach
Got sprocket fixed, had to remove the rear fender for now. Question, the chain rubs the tire. It is a 2.125 stock cruiser bike tire(Greenline Beach Cruiser) What is the next minimum you think. It is barely touching. I did want wide tires though, but had to mount sprocket without the outside ring on the sprocket, to give clearence for the coaster brake arm.zpt

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Daledoo,

A common problem your having. We bend the brake arm to clear the button head allen connectors. It allows you to adjust the adapter out another 1/8" or so. Enough to clear the tire..

If you don't want to do that then step the tire down a size to a 1.175 to make the clearance.

Also you can trim the fender and then dremel the rough metal. Then cover it with some door edge gaurd. The 3m kind with the sticky is good and it comes in black or chrome..

Justin

Last edited:

daledoo

Jan 16, 2010
West Palm Beach
Ub, hmm the tire size 1.175 is good. I dont know what a button head connector is. That is in the engine right? I did not bend the brake arm on the rear axle if that is what you mean. I just have no access to a garage and such. Just put it together in my living room. No car, just my bikes for transport.

The head allen thing, what is that?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I think he left out the rag joint from between the sprocket & the spokes!?!?

DOOOD... you need that in there to keep the spokes from getting damaged!!!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
button head allen bolt. it's one of three bolts that goes on the sprocket adaptor Manic Mechanic makes. i don't think daledoo has one of those, but it's the same principal.

sounds like the bolts on the kit sprocket are hitting the C/B arm, right?

find a friend with a vice and make a "Z" out of the arm, or you can do it with a couple crescent (adjustable) wrenches.

if you've got sprocket (metal) to spoke (metal) contact, you'll mess up your spokes over time, and possibly having your wheel fall apart.

OR, you can find a hardware store that carries countersunk bolts, and put those in your sprocket. you'll have to countersink the holes in the sprocket. you can do that with an over size drill bit.

i know, this is probably way over your head. sorry.

Attachments

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
just the thread i was looking for

button head allen bolt. it's one of three bolts that goes on the sprocket adaptor Manic Mechanic makes. i don't think daledoo has one of those, but it's the same principal.

sounds like the bolts on the kit sprocket are hitting the C/B arm, right?

find a friend with a vice and make a "Z" out of the arm, or you can do it with a couple crescent (adjustable) wrenches.

if you've got sprocket (metal) to spoke (metal) contact, you'll mess up your spokes over time, and possibly having your wheel fall apart.

OR, you can find a hardware store that carries countersunk bolts, and put those in your sprocket. you'll have to countersink the holes in the sprocket. you can do that with an over size drill bit.

i know, this is probably way over your head. sorry.
what size of counter sink bolt would work for the sprocket ?