Something I found that is odd.

GoldenMotor.com

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
I am a bit concerned as last night I pulled off the gear/clutch cover case because I forgot to grease up the gears before my first ride. The bike has about 15 minutes on it total so far and when I pulled the cover off it had some weird stuff spread in it. I expected some old grease to be in there but it was more of a fiberous grease mix. Almost like super fine hair or something mixed with half dried old grease. Not a ton but my concern is this, is the clutch too tight and these "fibers" are my clutch pads being worn down while I ride? I had to put the clutch arm in about a 1/2" from the straight on point where it stops to get the bike to roll freely when I peddle. Engages fine and starts right up when I fire it. Am I quickly wearing my clutch pads down or is this fiberous grease normal?

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
For a new engine the stuff you found is normal. It's clutch pad material mixed with the grease the factory applied to the gears during assembly. Wipe off the excess, clean the cover if you want and apply a small dab of good quality grease to the teeth of the gears. When I say a small dab, I mean about as much as you could carry on a q-tip. Too much grease and it can find its way into the clutch...and that you don't want. As long as the clutch seems to be performing properly don't worry about it. Go ride and have fun.
Tom

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Works for me. I may go wipe a little grease off I put probably about enough to cover a quarter on the gear teeth. Haven't run it yet so I will just go wipe the excess. Thanks.