Humber 3-Speed Friction Drive

GoldenMotor.com

noisydad

Jun 17, 2009
West Hartford, CT
Just fired up the Honda GX35 for the first time today and took a test ride. Couldn't stop smiling as I buzzed up and down my street a few times. I've had this bike since around 1980 - I believe it's from the 1950s (like me). I found it in front of someone's house with a "For Sale $5.00" sign on it. The whole thing was spray-painted white, chrome parts and all. It did come with the pictured vintage Troxel saddle, though. Humber is an old English brand that was eventually absorbed by Raleigh and has since (I assume) disappeared. Original Sturmey-Archer hub and side-pull brakes, as well as a full chaincase that I plan to reinstall later. I had the bike in boxes for years, then about five years ago I repainted the frame and put it back together. Then I found this site (and the other one) and caught the bug. After a couple years of procrastination (don't ask) I finally bit the bullet a few weeks ago and ordered the BMP kit and a Honda GX35. I found a moped twist throttle on eBay and also got a mirror. Now I'm helmet- and lock-shopping and planning a route to commute to work (3 miles each way) one of these days. I'm sure I'll think of lots of other uses as I get going with this. Thanks for the inspiration, folks.

Attachments

vegaspaddy

Jul 24, 2008
las vegas
nice clean build, i dont think anyone doesnt have a nice grin on there face the first time you hop on one of these things... tooo much fun....

to finish it off you could paint the red engine casing the same as the bike that would really finish it of for you.

enjoy riding that thing, happy travels VP...

noisydad

Jun 17, 2009
West Hartford, CT
nice clean build, i dont think anyone doesnt have a nice grin on there face the first time you hop on one of these things... tooo much fun....

to finish it off you could paint the red engine casing the same as the bike that would really finish it of for you.

enjoy riding that thing, happy travels VP...
That had actually crossed my mind - or I might paint it black to match the friction-drive housing.