Getting no spark

GoldenMotor.com

Popskull

Oct 2, 2009
western slope
I have a Grubee 80cc engine that has stopped throwing a spark. I replaced the CDI with no change. Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions? Thanks

-=Pop

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
First I would check to make sure that the plug wire is securely screwed into the CDI. While your at it check to make sure the CDI is securely attached to the motor (magneto). I would change out the magneto next. Do a search here for ways to check it with a mutli meter.

Give us some background. Did it just stop working one day. Did is sputter and cut out? Has it never worked? You could also have a bad kill switch. Take it out of the loop and see if it will start. Use the choke to kill the engine when testing.

Popskull

Oct 2, 2009
western slope
Replaced the magneto and all is working now. The motor worked for about a week and then just died on me on a night out. I know the kill switch was DOA, so it's not even connected. Thanks for the quick response beseel. Hopefully things will stay running for another week.

-=Pop

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
Glad it worked out. Mine did the same thing w/in the first week . Replaced both CDI and Magneto and all is fine.

MasonMcD

Aug 25, 2009
Athens, GA
I rode my bike for about half a mile, now it won't start.

Replaced the plugs, CDI, and just today the magneto, and gas. Still no spark. At least that's all I can figure out. It's getting gas, the clutch engages and disengages, it putt putt putts when I pedal, but dies immediately when I pull the clutch cable, or gradually as the chain goes slower. I've taken the muffler off to see if it's some plug up there, but no.

Any ideas?

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
Make sure your plug wire is securely in the CDI.
Double check the your wires from CDI to motor.
Make sure your wires are securely taped or better yet heat shrinked so they don't short out on the bike.
Use the choke to start.

Venice Boy and plenty others express concern with the stock kill switch. I haven't had first hand problems but made a replacement anyway. Try pulling the kill switch out of the equation and see if it starts up.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I rode my bike for about half a mile, now it won't start.

Replaced the plugs, CDI, and just today the magneto, and gas. Still no spark. At least that's all I can figure out. It's getting gas, the clutch engages and disengages, it putt putt putts when I pedal, but dies immediately when I pull the clutch cable, or gradually as the chain goes slower. I've taken the muffler off to see if it's some plug up there, but no.

Any ideas?
When you say, "No Spark" that means the plug is not firing. Have you confirmed this? Remove the plug, connect it to the plug wire and ground the plug against the cylinder head fins. Walk the bike forward, clutch engaged and observe the plug electrode. Is there a spark present? If yes, then your problem is elsewhere. If no spark re-check your wiring connnections. If there is spark you have a fuel issue. Mixture correct? Fuel flow from tank to carburetor? Choke open? Check these things and get back to us if you find, or don't find the problem.
Tom