Where to get just the stranded cable......

GoldenMotor.com

Srjeeper

Aug 15, 2009
NE Pa.
Just completed one of 'Large Filipino's' clutch cable upgrades and the cable is now about 3" to short. Do any of the suppliers sell just the cable with one barrel end on it? The cable that's on there is about 45" and I'd like to put about a 50" or more new cable in. The cover length is OK, it just needs a longer cable.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Yea go to your LBS. I re-strung all the cables on a bike a few years ago and my LBS just charged me by the foot for the bare cable, they put on the ends and even tossed in a dozen or so end protectors for free.

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
My LBS does have the cables but wanted $4/each for a bare cable without any sheathing. K-mart and Wally world have a "Bike Repair Kit" for about $5 that comes with both front/rear brake cables and shift cables and all of the sheathing and ends. I think the standard clutch is a brake cable. Personally I'm using the twist grip front derailer shifter that came with the bike for a clutch lever. It works perfect and means I use shift cables for clutch and brake cables for throttle.

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
I just ordered a bunch of these myself, I like just the cable myself so I can feed it through the old housing and not have to tie it all down again. Here's where I got mine, nice and cheap. Most have a end on the other side, but I found if you cut the cable as close to the end as you can it doesn't frey. I dip the cut end in hot wax before I feed it through the housing, just to make sure there's nothing jagged to catch inside the housing..

Brake Cable | BikepartsUSA

I would recommend sticking with the MTB cables they are a bit thicker.

Last edited: