Sturmey Archer hubs and 12 gauge spokes

GoldenMotor.com

Herdo

Sep 20, 2013
Glendale Arizona
I have been planning my bike for the past few weeks and I had decided on getting a Sturmey Archer XFD hub for the front and the Sturmey Archer 3 speed internal hub with drum brake for the rear.

I've noticed several people have used both of these hubs in their wheels with 12 gauge spokes. On the Sturmey Archer website, the compatible spokes for both of these hubs are listed at 13 or 14 gauge.

I guess my question is, are these people stretching or drilling the holes out bigger to accept 12 gauge spokes or do they just fit without any alteration?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Ive had to drill one set for 12 ga, but a couple others went in no problem. I currently have 10ga and they were drilled.

Herdo

Sep 20, 2013
Glendale Arizona
:S I'm scared! That worries me because I while I have some basic mechanical skills, I feel like I would screw this up. Do you just use a hand drill?

This is one of those jobs that could be ridiculously simple or it could require extreme precision with factory quality drills etc, haha. Thanks for all the answers everyone!

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
:S I'm scared! That worries me because I while I have some basic mechanical skills, I feel like I would screw this up. Do you just use a hand drill?

This is one of those jobs that could be ridiculously simple or it could require extreme precision with factory quality drills etc, haha. Thanks for all the answers everyone!
You can do it!!! The hub is aluminum and you are barely taking off any material.The drill will go through so fast you won't have time to mess it up,Just use the correct drill bit and you will be ok.zpt

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike

If you could use a drill press it would help make your job easy.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You can do it with a hand drill. Just be sure to hold the drill straight and use the proper bit.
Aluminum drills quite easily.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
It's easier than you think. A hand drill is fine, and you don't need a degree in engineering or a fancy drill press. i just eyeball the drill bit size to the spoke. you've alreafy got the original hole for a pilot, so messing it up would be pretty hard to do...

Herdo

Sep 20, 2013
Glendale Arizona
Alright, you all have very good points. I will definitely be getting these hubs then. Thanks everyone, hopefully I can get this thing built by next spring!