Homemade Exhaust?

GoldenMotor.com

jdixon42

Aug 5, 2013
Fremont, California
Does anyone know how I can make a homemade pipe

I was thinking about cutting off the muffler and getting someone to weld something better on it.

Is this possible or am I wrong?

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Get yourself some old ten speed handle bars. They are cheap and already have most of the bends you need then I use a pipe cutter and little splicers (made from elec cond) to fit the pipe to the bike and tack weld into place. I use old briggs muff can (from ace hardware) ,but only on a motor thats broken in well.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5t5vwgz8itg98y/Photo Mar 29, 11 12 55 AM.jpg
Sorry its a crappy pic but hopefully you get the idea, lett me know if I can be of any further help Jim B.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Many builders make their own exhaust systems. One way is to use EMT, thin wall electrical conduit. You can use 1/2" but most prefer to use 3/4". You'll need a conduit bender and know how to weld or have it welded. Don't use the flex conduit. It will leak around the spiral.

Some have used copper pipe and fittings but you'll need to know how to use high temperature solder (brazing alloy) because soft, or plumbing solder, won't take the vibration or heat close to the engine.

The old handlebar suggestion is also a good one that many have used. Again you'll need some welding done to do it properly.

Tom

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
A member suggested using lawnmower handlebars. (sorry, can't remember who)
Seems that you would be able to get a nice long straight piece if you wanted one.
I have not done this yet. Good luck!
Need it. Make it. Got it.

PS This early part of this thread may be helpful to you: Quieting down a china girl???

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I made this one outa some rigid copper. Tom is correct in that the standard solder will not hold up on this application. This exhaust may not be the prettiest, but it did gain me about 5mph --- and it certainly sounds quite a bit better!

Good luck in your fabrication!

Attachments

Tron mobile

Mar 30, 2020
I made this one outa some rigid copper. Tom is correct in that the standard solder will not hold up on this application. This exhaust may not be the prettiest, but it did gain me about 5mph --- and it certainly sounds quite a bit better!

Good luck in your fabrication!
What all did you use to make that?