Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no answer/no interest

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I found my exhaust port finally clogged up from all the lugging I did while pulling trailers.

I cleaned the stock muffler out by soaking it overnight in a bath of penetrating solvent, but I still wanted to swap to a less expensive muffler with a welded-on exit pipe ("bleed tube") and save the fancy one for my all-stock engine.

I found these generic scooter mufflers to match the bolt pattern, and they have exhaust holes just slightly bigger than the motor exhaust port. The flange is big enough to cut the gasket a hair bigger than the port, and smaller than the muffler hole, or to match the muffler hole if you want.
The stock gasket got re-used, but cutting off the used portion and making a new gasket. It was a pain in the butt! 3 layers of rubber and 2 layers of metal. I dulled up two razors tracing and cutting it. I used 3 bits to step out the mounting holes to prevent tears. I used chainsaw files (flat and round) to carve out the muffler hole to a nice shape with the flat sides and rounded corners. I had to lock some 6mm nuts on the stock bolts and shorten them a little to prevent them bottoming out on the "jug".
I recommend getting high grade all-thread or studs (not happytime hardware) and using lockwashers and nuts. Then you can swap mufflers or clean out your exhaust port in the future without wearing the threads.

Photos follow, of engine without muffler, muffler comparisons, muffler mounted, cage mounted, cage trimmed and mounted to not block new muffler exit pipe.

Attachments

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I haven't voted yet, because I haven't test ridden the bike yet. I expect to get to try it soon and re-tune the carb for the new muffler.

I expect good results. The new muffler has a big box, no crapalytic converter, wide passages and several baffles, with a welded on pipe and no screen to clog. The mufflers are cheap, so if it ever "needs service", I'll put it in the scrap pile and bolt on another one. cvlt1

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
All I have run on the one Tanaka 33cc that I own was the stock can for a brief period when it was new and then I was able to get a brand new "Tanaka" HP 3-piece wrap around tuned expansion chamber.

The 3-piece had a built on silencer that also had an adapter that let you run the stock can (muffler) on the stinger outlet for extra stealthness.......very quiet yet powerful (for 33cc's lol).

The 3-piece were connected by strong springs which made the pipe nearly indestructible from vibration.

If you can find this pipe......I highly recommend it!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I found a few pics of virtually the same pipe (slightly larger 40cc Tanaka) without the can mounted on the end, but you get the idea....

That's the pipe you want....the factory pipe for the 33cc Tanaka! Ya just have to wrestle it to fit your bike :D

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Nah, I'll pass. I use this bike to pull trailers and need to get between the trailer and bike sometimes. The big pipes also attract a lot of "idiot calls". I want to be all legal eagle so, when perception is everything, a little quiet motor is best.

I just ran this sucker, though. It did a wheelie, and takes off hard. I don't need the bladder pipe. It ran way smoother than with the stock can.

This mod is worth it, definitely. I've got a Daves Discount Motors big-bore wyk walbro carb, and zenoah spacer to match. If this thing runs like this now with the restricted stock carb, I expect it to be a mad hornet with the new carb.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I ran it again some more yesterday. It was great. The bike was singing, and it pulled hard from take-off. I didn't even really need to pedal to take off but I do anyway to preserve the clutch. I had to increase my roller pressure some because it would pull hard enough to slip some. Good times, but I got some trash in my wheel and broke spokes. Looking forward to riding again as soon as possible. The bike finally runs like I want. The tone is better and the sound is not too loud. At 10mph, the bike is very quiet. At 25 it was loud but not ear ringing loud or anything.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Daves Discount Motors went out of their way for me, to find this can:
It's apparently a little different from the one I have on the bike (looks shorter in height) but that's cool. The bleed tube looks closer in location to the stock can.
http://www.davesmotors.com/fd220

http://www.davesmotors.com/core/media/media.nl?id=2254&c=885035&h=25206d332bca5c6c31d3

High-performance "heli" style side-vent muffler. Huge 1/2" inner diameter bleed tube for excellent low-end performance.

Zenoah part# T2070-15110

Stock part on the
Zenoah G230 260 240 270 290RC motors

Can be used on the
CY23 CY26 CY27 CY29 GP290 motors
Heli Muffler - $15.00

They also offered this one, but the bleed pipe is on the other side. If you want to run the engine without the cage, you could use this, if you flip the can, or don't mind the exhaust running over the drive channel. (you can cut out the cage on a square already imprinted on the cage).

fd263
http://www.davesmotors.com/fd263_2.jpg

http://www.davesmotors.com/fd263

G43L Narrow Body Muffler. Works and fits the same as the standard G43 mulffler, this version is just slightly narrower in size for less weight and a slimmer fit. Also, on this version of the muffler, the exhaust exits the side instead of bottom.
G43L Narrow Body Muffler with Side Exhaust - $7.00