Tanaka TBL-7800R 65cc 4-2/7 HP

GoldenMotor.com

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Never knew tanaka made this motor and at $430 on amazon you get a free leaf blower with it, considering a 40cc costs $399 just for the motor. That must be 1 bad motor its a smoker too LOL.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I think I've seen what you are talking about, but how do you mount it on a bike? Is this the one that runs like a 2 stroke, but sounds low and growly like a little 4 stroke?

Where did you find it for 400? I've seen it around 500-550 $USD.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
More I look at that motor I think i'm falling in love with it. Wonder if that sucker will work on a f/d kit? HELP hold me back!.........need some specs.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Amazon had a better spec sheet, that sucker looks like it'll bolt up to a fd but i'm not sure. Need more info, 4+ ponies in that bad puppy.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Some people on another forum (product reviews) were saying this engine may be used in Redmax brand equipment also.

If you look around you can find this engine (tanaka 7800) with complete blower, reconditioned by factory, for 400-425. The one with the "frame mounted throttle" (not hand operated throttle) is apparently about $20-30 less than the hand-throttle one. If you just want the engine, who cares. I tried looking up clutch info, but all I can find out is it has a "heavy duty centrifugal clutch".

guess we will have to ask a mower shop or Tanaka rep what size clutch it uses.

If you put it on a bicycle, I bet it will be awesome.

I am a fan of Tanaka co, because I LOVE 2 stroke engines, and think its a bunch of BS that people are trying to ban them or regulate them out of existence.

From Tanaka home page:

http://www.tanaka-usa.com/index.php?section=38 (how it works)

CHOICE FOR THE FUTURE
Many people ask us, "When is Tanaka going to build a 4-cycle?" The answer is "We are not!" You don't have to switch to 4-cycle!

Two-stroke is not going away. As other manufacturers push lackluster performing 4-cycle products, Tanaka is committed to providing you with two-stroke powered products now and for the future.

Less moving parts, better power-to-weight, and outstanding throttle response are just a few of the advantages Tanaka products have over 4-cycle or hybrid 4-cycle powered products. Here are some more:

1. Service Costs
Due to the design elements and the additional internal components, labor costs for service and repairs of 4-cycle engines are considerably higher.

2. Maintenance
Standard compact 4-cycle engines utilize oil reservoirs, however their extremely small capacity requires that the owner check it constantly and change it regularly. Since these engines do consume oil, the likelihood of lubrication related failure is significantly higher.

3. Power-to-Weight
Two-stroke engines are usually smaller in size and up to 30 percent lighter than compact 4-cycle engines with the same power rating.

4. Performance
Tanaka two-stroke engines provide more usable power and torque at RPMs most suitable for effectively powering handheld products.

5. Internal Components
Compact 4-cycle engines utilize four times the amount of components as Tanaka two-stroke engines. Many of which are moving and subject to excessive wear.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I want that motor but reality bites me in the ass. I can't afford it right now, but the dream lives on. Now I know a 65cc tanaka exists and takes up the space of a 40cc I will endeavor to aquire this master piece. Put a 49cc sticker on it just so I don't forget its size.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Get a big coffee can, cut a slot in the lid, and every time you walk by, clean the house, or come home from shopping, put 25ct. or $1 in there. That's how I got my last MB.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Get a big coffee can, cut a slot in the lid, and every time you walk by, clean the house, or come home from shopping, put 25ct. or $1 in there. That's how I got my last MB.
Yep, that works.

My son and I started my wife's "tip jar". Whenever she cooked a good meal, we dropped a few bucks for her tips. Man, that jar filled up with bills VERY quickly!

For me, I'd empty my pockets at the end of every day. Soon, everything less than $20 went into my "fund". That added up WAYYY more than my wife's tip jar.dance1

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Looking for a power house for a F/D, I hear this is a good choice, seen these on little board scooters and they will run a hole in the wind.

4.2HP @ 11,000 RPM's

That should bring some life into a friction drive....

This guy has many good looking engines based on some of the specs listed.

I've never bought from this fella but he's been around a good while so I just thought I would share this site even though it's not Tanaka related.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4506/.f

Peace, map

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Russo Power Equipment has the 65cc Tanaka TBL7800 leaf blower
on sale, NIB, $429 free shpg. Somebody, please. buy one of these
things. I'm dying to see what it'll do on a bike.(4.3 hp 2-smoke)
That's almost twice that of a PF4000.

dnut