Ontario; possible to ride without a license, insurance, or registering?

GoldenMotor.com

elemein

Jan 26, 2012
Canada
So I was starting to get pretty interested in this hobby for awhile and was starting to think of building my own motor bicycle; the thing is, I'm only 15 now and when I took a scroll over the Toronto legalities sticky it said that "homemade mopeds" are banned unless the driver is licensed and the bike is insured and registered.

Being 15; thats sorta impossible. Even when I'm 16 it's still going to be very very expensive to insure wont it?

Anyway, basically what I'm asking here is, is there any motor bicycle that could be driven in the Greater Toronto Area without being licensed or insured or registered? Is there any requirements to be met to be able to be void of all that stuff?

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Yeah, it's called an electric bicycle...
If it runs gas, you need all those things...
Also, you would have to check local municipalities to make sure they aren't banning the use of ebikes on their roads.

elemein

Jan 26, 2012
Canada
:/ E-bike wasnt exactly what I was thinking but.. It is what it is :( and yeah I'll check them municipalities of mine if I decide to go down that route.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
In Ontario at 15 years of age you can't legally operate a power assisted bicycle, (aka: E-Bike), on any Ontario road. Best stick to pedaling, public transit and mom's taxi for another year or so elemein or you could get your parents in trouble.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
I meant when he turned 16, he could use an ebike without a license...

In most places having a gas powered bicycle usually requires a license..
Certain places (Not Canada) you don't.
Certain places they need to be registered as mopeds..
Certain places they're not allowed at all...

Here's the funny thing...
Pretty much, the second you're able to ride an ebike or gas bike because of age or license, you'll be able to drive a regular car and won't need an ebike or moped..
Isn't it funny how life works out that way..

Last edited:

elemein

Jan 26, 2012
Canada
Wow really? :O Dang Toronto laws -.- Looks like I'm stuck to rollerblading or using them legs of mine. Thanks for the information though guys!