California Motorized Bicycle Requirements

GoldenMotor.com

Tony Meier

Jan 14, 2010
Sun Diego
While reading several excelent tips from "BAIRDCO" and others, I happened onto a good site for those of you who would like a bit of clarity on the CA (California DMV) Regulations and Vehicle Codes. Rather than post up the address (since I'm new) I'll just give you an easy way to "search" for the document on google. Type in CHP 944 and you will be rewarded with a two page document that summarizes the requirements. Also, the California Motorcycle Handbook (search the CA DMV web site), page 3 says: "You may ride a moped (defined on the page) in a bicycle lane at a reasonable speed. Be careful of bicycles."

Tony Meier

Jan 14, 2010
Sun Diego
Great point!

I saw your post on equipment requirements and thought it would be a good idea to give everyone the reference site. Again, do a google search using the words "California vehicle code section 24015" and you will have it.

Additionally, to get an M1, pull up the California Motorcycle Handbook (mentioned above) and begin reading on page 3 - License Requirements.

Bradford

Feb 4, 2012
Laguna Beach, CA
Michael Sullivan of the Ventura County Reporter wrote in his Dec. 3rd, 2009 article that according to Ventura Police Sergeant Ryan Weeks, Vehicle Code 21207.5, it is illegal to ride a gas-powered bicycle in the bike lane. I looked up and read V.C. 21207.5 and this is what it stipulates contrary to what Michael Sullivan wrote in his article or what Ryan Weeks told him: It is legal to ride a motorized bicycle in the bike lane if the bike lane is within or adjacent to the roadway. Most bike lanes are within or adjacent to roadways. Then there is.flg. V.C. 21209 which neither Sergeant Ryan Weeks or Michael Sullivan mentioned in the article. V.C. 21209 stipulates that motorized bicycles are not prohibited from being ridden in bike lanes if riders travel at a speed no faster than what is reasonable or prudent, having due regard for visibility, traffic conditions, and the condition of the roadway surface of the bike lane, and in a manner which does not endanger the safety of bicyclists.

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
whats the difference with bike lanes, and bike paths?
because there is a nice bike path next to a freeway but only on one entrance it says no motor vehicles I think. Not sure if thats meant for cars, or any motor vehicle
but if were allowed to use them then its even more confusing to me

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Bike lanes are along the side of existing roads and streets.
Bike paths are narrow, usually paved, trails made specifically for bicycles and pedestrians and routed independently of street and road grids, through parks or sometimes along old railroad right of ways. Where I live, the bike paths do not allow anything with a motor on it and I avoid them.

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
yes this is then a bike path
but last time I checked when I had a stand up gas scooter I thought it said it was okay to use bike lane and path
of course motorized bike is different rules probably

guess I need to read up again with a bike now

Jmllogo

Feb 19, 2012
California
hey guys check this out i just emailed the sheriff in ca santa barbara and asked what if it has a manual transmission? no response yet but will message back when they do!

V C Section 406 Motorized Bicycle
Motorized Bicycle

406. (a) A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an ((((((((((automatic transmission))))))))) and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.

(b) A "motorized bicycle" is also a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that meets all of the following requirements:

(1) Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts.

(2) Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on ground level.

(3) Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.

(4) Every manufacturer of motorized bicycles, as defined in this subdivision, shall provide a disclosure to buyers that advises buyers that their existing insurance policies may not provide coverage for these bicycles and that they should contact their insurance company or insurance agent to determine if coverage is provided.

(c) The disclosure required under paragraph (4) of subdivision (b) shall meet both of the following requirements:

(1) The disclosure shall be printed in not less than 14-point boldface type on a single sheet of paper that contains no information other than the disclosure.

(2) The disclosure shall include the following language in capital letters:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
V.C. 21209 stipulates that motorized bicycles are not prohibited from being ridden in bike lanes if riders travel at a speed no faster than what is reasonable or prudent, having due regard for visibility, traffic conditions, and the condition of the roadway surface of the bike lane, and in a manner which does not endanger the safety of bicyclists.
That sounds like a very reasonable rule to me.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
jmllogo, simply put, if your bike has a manual transmission, meaning gears, not just a single speed with a clutch, it doesn't meet the classifications of a motorized bicycle, and can't be registered as one.

i don't know what you could register it as, or if you could at all.

there really isn't any loopholes. if you're trying to get away with not paying the 19 bucks, i think you're out of luck. all you've done is told the cops you have an illegal bike.

the best thing to do is not say anything, check the "yes" boxes, and worry about the cops if you get pulled over. even then, don't offer any more info than you have to.

"to ask permission is to seek denial." words of wisdom...

corduroylion

Sep 25, 2008
norcal
so wait, i have to get a M1 or M2 drivers lic? so when i go to the DMV i take my motorized bike and take the test? i dont get it. my bike doesnt even go over 15mph...

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
so wait, i have to get a M1 or M2 drivers lic? so when i go to the DMV i take my motorized bike and take the test? i dont get it. my bike doesnt even go over 15mph...

yes its considered a moped and if your driving on public roads and want to obey the law you need a license, lights, helmet

of course your not allowed to ride on the sidewalk because it has a gas engine

I even got a moped license plate for my bike, but I dont use it the plate is too large to mount

but im sure its not something really enforced

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
I dont know
I have a M1 I got years ago using a real motorcycle for the road test
Maybe a M2 is just a written test since its only for mopeds

But you cant get a M1 without some sort of motorcycle or scooter for the road test

Now you can get a M1 permit that expires in 1 year
maybe by then you can get a motorcycle or scooter and take the test
M2 is really useless where M1 you can do it all and more

For a light I have a $300 baja designs I think 900 lumes led, about as bright as hid
and this trick rear light that senese when coming to a stop and turns on, like a brake light

most of the times it works, also has solid red and flashing

Headlight not shown in this pic

barely see the brake light and also got a mirror that really works well where its mounted

how big the plate is

and to get the plate its just a form you mail in with some info and $19
easy to get

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you need to pass a skills (riding) test for an M2. and you can't use your bike. you need a "real" scooter or moped. which is retarded. even if your bike is 100% legal, they won't let you take your test on it. fascists...

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
well since my bike is plated and registered as a moped, you think that would be allowed as long as it had the lights, and all that stuff needed to pass any inspections they do before the test

but anyways if you still need a legal moped or scooter for the M2 might as well use a scooter and take the M1

Scooters are super easy to ride

Tony Meier

Jan 14, 2010
Sun Diego
I took the training course in the below link back in 2002. It's still offered. It's recognized and approved by the CA DMV. The course provides 250cc motorcycles and they not only prep you for the DMV written test, they sign off on the riding test - provided you pass it.

http://www.ca-msp.org/Locations.aspx

This course preps you for an M1 license. I consider the course a must; and, the cost is less than some tickets.