Trikke T12 36v hub conversion

GoldenMotor.com

marcilla.smith

Sep 16, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Hello,

I have wanted my own tilting three-wheeled vehicle since I first saw GM's Lean Machine at EPCOT's World of Motion sometime in the early 1980's. Recently, I decided to start with a motorized Trikke project as a starting point.

With 12" wheels, the T12 is arguably the flagship of the Trikke line. It is also no longer in production. The largest wheels I believe currently available are 8", although on the Trikke electric line a 10" wheel is used in the front.

Trikke has offered a "Tribred" kit in the past to add an electric assist hub motor, but never for the T12.

Inspired by this Instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/Trikke-T-12-Electric-Conversion-55lb-25kg-/ , I went in search of the best deal I could find on a 12" 350w 36v hub motor, and decided on this: https://www.uumotor.com/12-inch-scooter-motor-brushless-gearless-or-geared.html

As the T12 is no longer made, and online retailers still offering them charge almost $800 or more, I consider myself fortunate to find one in such good condition on CL less than 1.5 hours away in Raleigh (I live in Greensboro, NC) which its former owner was willing to part with for $250.

Enough with the text though; here are some pics:

Attachments

Last edited:

marcilla.smith

Sep 16, 2015
Greensboro, NC
The first thing I've done with the T12 is to reverse the front fork in order to increase from a negative to a positive rake.

IOW, whereas the steering column was originally in front of the axle, now the steering column is behind the front axle. This is the more typical configuration and gives more comfortable steering and ride qualities.

I believe the Trikke uses the negative rake in order to improve its cambering/carving ability to propel the vehicle forward. I do not plan to make much, if any, use of this feature, so cruising comfort is a more important design consideration for me.

The switch was very simple. After loosening the allen bolts c-clamping the fork in place, there is a locking button to depress, then the fork can be rotated 180 degrees into position. After this, retightening the allen bolts resecures the fork to the steering column.

On the subject of Trikke engineering, I was disappointed to learn recently that Trikkes are supposed to avoid backwards motion. Apparently the toe-in of the rear wheels can cause the swing arms to spread, damaging the cambering socket at the yoke. All respect, but that seems like a design flaw to me, and one which I will want to eliminate if I ever decide to build my own 49cc gas powered version from scratch (dare to dream!).

One other bonus before more pics, the original video from EPCOT, and look what appears at 0:40! https://youtu.be/yoqq6xoWGUc?t=40s

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How well I remember standing in that EPCOT pavilion and watching that video. I too was intrigued with the 'Lean Machine' and have always wondered why it never seemed to make it past the concept stage. The engineering that went into it was amazing.

Good luck with your venture. Keep us posted.

Tom

marcilla.smith

Sep 16, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Thanks, Tom =]

I have now swapped out the brake levers and handgrips for the new controllers.

In addition to the right hand twist grip throttle, UU Motor also included a left hand thumb switch panel. This would have been really nice for making use of the motor's reverse feature, but alas, I think I will try using it to activate the cruise control feature.

I had a little difficulty because the allen bolts to tighten the right hand brake and throttle are each covered by the placement of the other! I decided to leave the brake clamp loose enough that I could shimmy it into place and then leave it as "tight enough."

Other than that, everything seems to be going well!

Before and after pics attached:

Attachments

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
A great start!

Should be interesting to see how the handling is with the negative trail at the front wheel.

The un-powered original design was fairly light. The needed toe-in for stability would be a problem traveling in reverse, with that long lever arm on the ball joint. I doubt that will be a big issue at this point.

I too have had a long running fascination with 3 wheel vehicles, and tilting chassis. I built this on a bet one weekend:

I still need to cut the frame behind the seat & make it pivot.

And of course there is my sidecar:

The bike is very nice to ride - it is easy to forget the sidecar is there.

marcilla.smith

Sep 16, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Thanks, FFV8. I really like the way you did the sidecar!

Before I get into more of the build, I was looking at the forums, and I can't help but wonder if my thread would be more appropriate in http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9 Is it possible for a mod to move the thread if so?

No pics this time, but for anyone who thinks I've gone overboard adding 350watts to a Trikke, here's a video of 1.000 watt Trikkeing at 30+mph: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G_L93YOA3U

djbazz01

Feb 23, 2016
Illinois
I just picked up a T12, I've been through the web looking at all the same things and then ran across your thread here :) Sent you a pm marcilla.smith