Monark Mega vs Type 2

GoldenMotor.com

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Does anyone have experience using the Monark Mega fork that Pistonbikes is selling? Link: http://www.pistonbikes.com/Monark-Springer-Mega-Fork-p/msfmeg.htm

I don't see this on the Monark Forks website, so I'm assuming this isn't made by them? I like the unicrown welded construction for long term beef, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually used this on a build and might be able to comment on the "Mega" compared to the Monark "Type 2". For my application, I want to be using disc brakes so the Mega caught my eye, since the "2" needs a conversion plate to run disc, and that would cost more total than the Mega. Thoughts, opinions?

NicksGarage

Aug 26, 2013
San Diego, CA
That fork is actually a Sunlite Deluxe Springer. I just bought one for a build I'm going to do. It's similar to the Felt Abraham Linkage but with disc brake mount and roller/drum brake arm bracket. Also has mounting holes for fenders. They are available on Amazon right now but they go out of stock often.

NicksGarage

Aug 26, 2013
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the info, how wide are the legs?
The fork legs are closer together at the hub than at the top. The Abraham Linkage fork is straight up.

Front fork tire clearance:
Bottom - 3.47"
Top - 3.77"

Back fork tire clearance:
Bottom - 3.35"
Top - 3.56

Here's a picture of the Felt (on the left) and Sunlite forks side by side.

Moisstink

Aug 2, 2013
Tempe
I am thinking of going for the Sunlite Deluxe Springer but am not sure if it will work with my schwinn cruiser. How can I check that out so I am not wasting the dough? I guess I need to know if I need the 1" threaded or 1 1/8" non threaded as well.

Installed one yesterday. It seems ok. Love the look but it seems to not really take in all that much shock from the road and it seems possibly less stable from more moving parts. I will continue to check it out and if anyone has any suggestions on the loose feel let me know.

Last edited: