Springs supposed to hold exhaust system together?

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
There are small loops on the pipe and engine which allows small tight springs to hold it together yet allow some movement.
Very common on larger dirtbikes.
(too lazy to find a pic. Lol!)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Shoot, I just installed a SBP X-chamber on a build yesterday but didn't get a pic before it was picked up.

There are hose clamps as well as springs in the package, put the hose clamps on the smaller pipe size of the pipe connections as the heater hose holds the big sides pretty well, and the pair of springs to keep the pipe in the manifold, and of course use something to attach the back of the pipe to to the frame just before the muffler.

I don't like that multi-hole strap they include, I just use a really big hose clamp.
Bummer I didn't a pic of that but ohh well.

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Re: Springs supposed to hold exhaust system together? UPDATE

Shoot, I just installed a SBP X-chamber on a build yesterday but didn't get a pic before it was picked up.

There are hose clamps as well as springs in the package, put the hose clamps on the smaller pipe size of the pipe connections as the heater hose holds the big sides pretty well, and the pair of springs to keep the pipe in the manifold, and of course use something to attach the back of the pipe to to the frame just before the muffler.

I don't like that multi-hole strap they include, I just use a really big hose clamp.
Bummer I didn't a pic of that but ohh well.
Got the SBP exhaust installed and it did make a difference. Much like I have read. It would get 30 on a straight away before now will get 35+. It probably has 2-3 mph left in it but 35 was a little uncomfortable at the time so I slowed down. The long hill where 24mph in 6/7 speed before will now get 30+ 7/7. Really add a snap to changing gears. Can see how this is probably the cheapest upgrade a person can get for power. Very pleased with the SBP upgrade. The exhaust system stayed in place I suppose as it is designed to. Had to add another 45 angle and split one of the pieces of silicone tubing down the middle. Mounted high on left side. Have got to cut metal tab off the chamber. It hits the inside of my leg slightly and gets a tad warm. Started to get some 1" flex pipe for mount but glad I stuck with the as designed mount with slight variation.

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
I used a big hose clamp also to attach to frame. It had one that came with the kit that fit the bill. Haven't used the strapping and don't see a need for it as of yet.

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
I got the heavy duty SS clamps, they are much better looking. I lined them with silicone tape between the frame and the clamp. The tape does seem to cut down on minor vibrations and protect the frame.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Used one extra 45. Sounds good nice power increase.
I used two 45's for my similar install and cut the mount tab off and re-welded it to the other side to mount the pipe to the frame top bar.

Get an Iridium plug if you haven't, it is not as dramatic an improvement as an X-pipe but it was you can feel.