Engine I.D. help

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I recently ordered a "80cc" kit from pcc motors on e-bay. Anyone know the actual engine brand? Its got a curved exhaust with a very short muffler consisting of a 3in dia pipe about 6 inches long with a stud in the center holding it all together. The motor was painted silver from the factory but does NOT have the curved clutch arm. Straight plug head and nt carb. Any info? I love the way it runs and am curious about the actual "brand"dnut

dawa31

Sep 25, 2011
Wiliamsport, PA
Sounds like Rico Group INC. I got one like it. Keep in mind there are several company's over there that make these motor, and they all look about the same. However there not. Look on the side for a sticker. It will be on the side near the clutch lever.

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
The engine I got from PCC Motors had these stickers on it -

Sorry, I don't have any bigger pics because I already peeled the stickers off of my engine, but I figured someone here had seen them before and would recognize them. I peeled 'em off thinking maybe the EPA sticker was underneath. Imagine my surprise when it wasn't there. :D

Also, the stickers took off the silver paint. It looks like the motor was sprayed after assembly because it was all the same color, including the wires coming out of the magneto. From the looks of this motor, I'm planning on splitting the cases and replacing all the gaskets, bearings, and seals before carefully reassembling it. I think this will head off a lot of potential problems just lurking around in there from the factory.

dawa31

Sep 25, 2011
Wiliamsport, PA
It looks the same as the Rico Group I got. It really sucks when people do that kind of stuff to things. Ya never know where it came from :-( I'd say if your doing the complete tare down and rebuild thing. Measure every thing and keep a log of it. Then you can search on the parts and measurements to find the company throw the specs.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The engine I got from PCC Motors had these stickers on it -

Sorry, I don't have any bigger pics because I already peeled the stickers off of my engine, but I figured someone here had seen them before and would recognize them. I peeled 'em off thinking maybe the EPA sticker was underneath. Imagine my surprise when it wasn't there. :D

Also, the stickers took off the silver paint. It looks like the motor was sprayed after assembly because it was all the same color, including the wires coming out of the magneto. From the looks of this motor, I'm planning on splitting the cases and replacing all the gaskets, bearings, and seals before carefully reassembling it. I think this will head off a lot of potential problems just lurking around in there from the factory.
Thats the same engine I got right down to the stickers, although mine didn't have the small one on the sprocket cover. I stripped mine down with carb cleaner and painted it black. Looks MUCH better (not so cheesy and cheap). Didn't tear it down though...(too lazy) still, looks like I got lucky 'cause its running great with no problems aside from the chain snapping. If I have any trouble, I will be sure to check parts carefully before ordering replacements. Thank you CroMagnum!brnot

papasmurf13

Mar 17, 2013
Louisville
Are these Rico Group Inc motors very good? I understand Chinese made does not mean quality but, the motor seems more appreciated than other brands. Do you have any suggestions for maintenance? I just ordered a 49 cc motor kit from Boygofast seller- on ebay. An it looks like a good motor.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
just heard today from someone that knows - rico has new engines that should be really nice - not sure how to find out if something sold on the web is a new one or just the last of the old ones

dawa31

Sep 25, 2011
Wiliamsport, PA
Papasmurf13, I've had some issues with my Rico motor. Mostly getting the fuel to air mix correct. I've almost tried every idea I can think of or read about here and still can't seem to get the mix right. Either it's to much fuel and it comes out the exhaust pipe or not enough to start the motor. When it does run it runs great but not to reliable until I can get this mix correct.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Just an update on the original motor. Been sold and ridden for quite awhile now, and still going strong. The owner uses it to pull his kids around on a trailer and reports no failures of any kind after finally listening to me and using an in-line fuel filter. (The tank was full of paint chips even after multiple cleanings) I have not gotten another kit with this muffler so I guess it was just one of those china things...maybe it got mixed in with a batch from another order or something.