53 Schwinn Project Mayhem

GoldenMotor.com

badxampl

Apr 27, 2010
Central New York
Here's where I start and document pictures of my first build. A Schwinn Cantilever bike (Green Phantom?) with springer front end. My original idea was for a board tracker, but i'm sure it wont be that way exactly. As i strip/paint/modify, new ideas keep floating into my head. So the old girl will be a metamorphosis for sure. Here's some pics...

Unfortunately they are a little backwards in time line. I'm currently at mocking up the tank, and priming/ painting parts!!

badxampl

Apr 27, 2010
Central New York
Post War Schwinns have excellent documentation when it comes to serial numbers. I simply looked up the serial number- Easiest thing so far on this bike, LOL.

I am having so much fun designing and coming up with ideas for this bike. No wonder this hobby is so addictive! I already have ideas for a second and third build...

Relax..deep breath......one at a time!

badxampl

Apr 27, 2010
Central New York
We Got Some Color!!

Heres a little sample of the primary color for the Schwinn. Couldnt resist shooting a few parts that were primed and ready, I just wanted to see the color. These were shot just in color coat- No clear yet. I have the clear but want to shoot all the clear at once i think. The spray area (my shed) will have to pretty clean and not quite as dusty for that. Right now I'm not concerned, because I will sand before clearing anyway. I'm not sure about the cranks, but i have a backup set, so i figured what the heck.

badxampl

Apr 27, 2010
Central New York
Before I scrap the old KZ650 tank, I'm gonna do some chopping and maybe test my welding skills. I would be way psyched to fab it out of metal! And after pricing out epoxy resin and cloth, this could possibly turn out way cheaper. Now if I could keep my welder from burning holes through the metal....

badxampl

Apr 27, 2010
Central New York
Making a Mockery...

I sorta mocked up the bike a little with some extra parts i had and just received. The extra springer fork came as a bonus to the rear fender I wanted, so i threw it on to test fit. Also not sure about the bars, but this gives an idea in the direction I am going. I think...

It still has a lot of tweaks and stuff to be adjusted and worked out. Keep in mind I have to accomodate a 6'4" body, so sizes are approximate for now.

Like a bear on a tricycle. Cue the music.

badxampl

Apr 27, 2010
Central New York
Yeah, ya gotta kinda look at it with a squinty eye. It is just a basic mock- and the only parts that will end up in the build from the pic is the frame, fender and tank. Maybe the bars. And I'll even try to get those 3 key things all the same color, whatheheck. I just keep seeing the pieces laying about and needed some inspiration.