trike gear and clutch

GoldenMotor.com

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
What size are the wheels?

With a 26" wheel, the 79cc engine seems happy with 15;1 overall in a bicycle. We ride them at 30 mph without any trouble

For a trike, the top speed should be closer to 20 mph. That means an overall of about 20:1 with 26" wheels.

The best bang for your buck in a clutch is Hilliard. We run this one:
Hilliard Extreme Duty

and swap the springs to 3000 rpm stall. They launch much better at 3000.

Bldr1000

Aug 26, 2013
Hoover, Alabama
I am about to mount a HF 212cc predator on a Schwinn meridian trike. Will it pull and run ok if I attach a 56 tooth drive sprocket to wheel and drive it with a Hilliard 12 tooth centrifugal clutch with a 3100 lockup speed. I saw a picture on the web where someone did that. Or will I have to use a jackshaft in order to make it pull. I thought 6.5 to 7 horses would be plenty.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
56-12 puts you at 4.66:1 Way too tall. You need a jackshaft

With 26" wheels 4.66:1 gears would give you 60 mph around 3700 rpm. A bit fast for a trike.

You could keep the 56 at the wheel and add another 3:1 at the jackshaft

12-36 > 12-56 Still fast for a trike.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It seems to me that 212 cc on a light weight trike (not a motorcycle-designed for highway trike) is way overkill. As mentioned before, 20 mph is more like it for a trike. They tend to tip over at speed. 79cc geared right should be plenty. Just my opinion. I'm setting my trike up for a 98cc Villiars midget, but it is an older 2 stroke of a putt putt kind of rpm range. Even so it is getting a heavy duty differential axle with a wide wheelbase and custom made wheels with fat tires, suspension front fork... in other words doing all I can to make it safe. Even so, I doubt that I'll go past 25 mph on a long straightway and a good bit slower on turns. Getting hurt is no fun.
SB

Bldr1000

Aug 26, 2013
Hoover, Alabama
Well, I already have the HF212 on the bench fresh out of the box and waiting on the bike. Set up with just a centrifugal clutch to 56.tooth sprocket is simple. When you get ready to use a jackshaft it might get complicated. I will have to wait till it gets here and I can set the engine on the back and also fabricate a mounting plate. But the mounting plate might need to be altered if I use a jackshaft. The other thing is....I really would like to mount the 56 tooth sprocket to the axle and not the spokes, but I don't yet know how. Problems galore.......ain't it fun! At some point I got to sell some bikes, or move to a warehouse or larger workshop.

tinnes2

Apr 25, 2014
Wood Dale IL.
ok it's decided I'm going to go with the 79 cc predator. the trike I will be working with seems like an old factory trike it has the coaster break up mounted mid frame behind the seat post with the second chain running to the rear axlewhich is 5/8 and drives both wheels everything I read says that I should only drive one wheel the trike has not been shipped to me yet so I don't know the gear ratio of the existing pedal drive train I'm hoping I can run a modified sprocket off the center of that hub but there's still a question of what clutch and or transmission I really like the idea of the adjustable belt drive and finaly what gear ratio (20:1)?