disc brake

GoldenMotor.com

Evan

Dec 6, 2009
Mount Vernon, WA
Hello all
Well I'm thinkin brakes now that I'm traveling at the speed of sound (thanks alot SBP) I rarely use my front brakes being that they grab so well and I'm afraid of things going sideways. any thoughts on rear discs or ideas to keep me upright?
Thanks
Evandance1

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You should practice using the front brake! As with all two wheeled vehicles, the front brake is responsible for 90% of the total stopping power!

Get used to it, learn it, love it... That front brake is your best friend! ;)

Wood.Neely

Feb 16, 2010
Auburn, AL
you can buy a new brake handle that allows both front and back break wires to connect to one handle. this allows you to pulls both breaks at the same time. i haven't gotten one yet myself, but it seems like a logical fix. happy riding

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
You should practice using the front brake! As with all two wheeled vehicles, the front brake is responsible for 90% of the total stopping power!

Get used to it, learn it, love it... That front brake is your best friend! ;)
I learned this on a 600cc sport bike a long time ago. I was in a jam and had to stop quickly. I was afraid of the front brake too and I locked up the rear tire. The rear tire locked up and went side to side. I almost laid it down. Luckily I stopped in time. From then on I learned to use my front brake 90% and everything is good. The only time I would worry about using too much front brake is if you are turning hard and the ground is wet.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I learned this on a 600cc sport bike a long time ago. I was in a jam and had to stop quickly. I was afraid of the front brake too and I locked up the rear tire. The rear tire locked up and went side to side. I almost laid it down. Luckily I stopped in time. From then on I learned to use my front brake 90% and everything is good. The only time I would worry about using too much front brake is if you are turning hard and the ground is wet.
If you have really good brakes on a conventional bicycle and you grab the front only and brake too hard you can do an endo and wind up with a face plant. Don't ask me how I know.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If you have really good brakes on a conventional bicycle and you grab the front only and brake too hard you can do an endo and wind up with a face plant. Don't ask me how I know.
I can't help but believe that you did something very wrong...
I've ridden bicycles & motorcycles like a madman ever since I was a small child; & never once have I (or anyone else that I know) gone over the bars from using the front brake!
It's statements like that that keep nubees from learning the proper way to use the brakes!

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I can't help but believe that you did something very wrong...
I've ridden bicycles & motorcycles like a madman ever since I was a small child; & never once have I (or anyone else that I know) gone over the bars from using the front brake!
It's statements like that that keep nubees from learning the proper way to use the brakes!
I did not go over the bars I made a panic stop because of a dog right in front of me and locked the front wheel with the front brake and the bike rotated around the front axle resulting in a ride on the pavement. And if you will reread the post I said the front only. You must not have had very good brakes. I did not say to not use the front brakes because they are the most important part of braking just do not overdo it. I have seen crotch rockets with the rear wheel a foot off the ground because of braking.

Last edited:

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
I did not go over the bars I made a panic stop because of a dog right in front of me and locked the front wheel with the front brake and the bike rotated around the front axle resulting in a ride on the pavement. And if you will reread the post I said the front only. You must not have had very good brakes. I did not say to not use the front brakes because they are the most important part of braking just do not overdo it. I have seen crotch rockets with the rear wheel a foot off the ground because of braking.
Who would put a rocket on their crotch?

Adam

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I did read what you said... that's why I said what I said. :)
Next... I've ridden bikes with good brakes, bad brakes, the best brakes & even no brakes; but never went over the bars because of the brakes...
& last... those crotch rockets do wheel stands because they are trying to! I know for a fact that you can lock the front wheel on them & still keep the rear grounded!

Anyways everybody... learn to use both brakes properly, they are your friends! :D

This is also for everyone... There is no such thing as brakes that are too good! ;)

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
lets all just play nice.......
They are.

Get yourself in the habit of using both front and back brakes simultaneously every time you brake when on the street. That should be your default method. It will slow you down the fastest and will keep the bike from wanting to endo. Practice panic braking and control.

Think about it this way. When on a nicely suspended motorcycle if you only used the front brake to stop you would have front end dive. If you only used the rear brake the reverse would occur. Using both brakes simultaneously keeps the bike level and keeps the rubber on the road. Locking up either brake is usually the last thing you would want to do.

Now dirt riding is a different story...

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
What you should be doing is getting an 8" front disc rotor and Avid BB7 brake caliper and front caliper mount.

The rear brake is the last thing you even think about when it comes to making a fast and controlled stop.
Would it be logical to say that when braking hard with front and rear brakes and when all the weight transfers to the front wheel, taking all weight off the rear wheel, that the rear brake is doing nothing at all.

Under hard braking, the rear brake has virtually no effect and when the rear wheel is coming off the ground, the rear brake no longer has any influence on stopping the bike.

Fabian

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While it's true the front brake is responsible for a hugely disproportionate amount of the stopping power, this is only applicable in ideal riding conditions - both brakes used in unison & varying amounts of pressure (depending on conditions) is the proper way to brake... that is ofc why there's two brakes and each with independent control. As a year-round rider, this is a lesson I've learned well.

When it's nice out and the pavement is clean and dry - sure, I only use the front brake (mostly jus' sheer laziness)... but if I'm dangerously close to a lockup and/or there's even a little sand you better believe that rear brake comes into play. Adding stability, even if the braking power of the rear is a mere 10-20 percent - that's more than what you'd have by not using it. Assuming a panic stop, should the front start to get squirrely it's nice to already be crankin' down the rear when you lighten up the front.

I'm a devout proponent of front brake use - but don't get the idea that the rear one has no "influence" at all, the only time that would be true is if the rear wheel actually did come off the ground and if that's the case - it'd hafta be almost perfect conditions & improper weight placement... a fairly unusual occurrence unless done on purpose.

Best bet? Practice using both while remembering the front gives you the stop & the rear gives ya stability ;)

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
While it's true the front brake is responsible for a hugely disproportionate amount of the stopping power, this is only applicable in ideal riding conditions - both brakes used in unison & varying amounts of pressure (depending on conditions) is the proper way to brake... that is ofc why there's two brakes and each with independent control. As a year-round rider, this is a lesson I've learned well.

When it's nice out and the pavement is clean and dry - sure, I only use the front brake (mostly jus' sheer laziness)... but if I'm dangerously close to a lockup and/or there's even a little sand you better believe that rear brake comes into play. Adding stability, even if the braking power of the rear is a mere 10-20 percent - that's more than what you'd have by not using it. Assuming a panic stop, should the front start to get squirrely it's nice to already be crankin' down the rear when you lighten up the front.

I'm a devout proponent of front brake use - but don't get the idea that the rear one has no "influence" at all, the only time that would be true is if the rear wheel actually did come off the ground and if that's the case - it'd hafta be almost perfect conditions & improper weight placement... a fairly unusual occurrence unless done on purpose.

Best bet? Practice using both while remembering the front gives you the stop & the rear gives ya stability ;)
Well said! ;)

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've upgraded to disc brakes on my bike, also thanks to SBP's shift kit. The change-over made a MAJOR difference in stopping power from the calipers I had. Also, I use a dual brake lever and pulling it to stop with both brakes is almost effortless.

Since my frame and forks didn't have mountings for disc brakes I bought 2 mounting adapters from these guys Choppersus.com Brake-Parts-Hardware/

NOTE: If you use these adapters you'll need 180 mm rotors. I had to do a little cutting on my stretch frame to get the rear adapter to fit but shouldn't be a problem with a regular cruiser frame. Also, to mount on front forks just grind off the tab that fits in the axel slot.

adapter.jpg rearbrake.jpg rrider.jpg

Last edited:

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I've upgraded to disc brakes on my bike, also thanks to SBP's shift kit. The change-over made a MAJOR difference in stopping power from the calipers I had. Also, I use a dual brake lever and pulling it to stop with both brakes is almost effortless.

Since my frame and forks didn't have mountings for disc brakes I bought 2 mounting adapters from these guys Choppersus.com Brake-Parts-Hardware/

NOTE: If you use these adapters you'll need 180 mm rotors. I had to do a little cutting on my stretch frame to get the rear adapter to fit but shouldn't be a problem with a regular cruiser frame. Also, to mount on front forks just grind off the tab that fits in the axel slot.

View attachment 23471 View attachment 23473 View attachment 23472
Very nice bike. Where did the dual brake lever come from and do you have more detailed pics?

Thanks

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I did read what you said... that's why I said what I said. :)
Next... I've ridden bikes with good brakes, bad brakes, the best brakes & even no brakes; but never went over the bars because of the brakes...
& last... those crotch rockets do wheel stands because they are trying to! I know for a fact that you can lock the front wheel on them & still keep the rear grounded!
It all depends on the center of gravity of you and the bike, the wheelbase of the bike, and the incline you are on. Having an engine mounted low in the frame definitely helps keep the center of gravity low. If you ride mountain bikes on steep trails. eventually you will endo due to the extreme inclines and roots/rocks that want to stop your front wheel. On a level road it is considerably harder to endo but can be done if you try like you said.

All you need to do to avoid an endo is to put your body as far back and as low on the bike as you can while modulating the front brake. Just takes a little practice.