gave up months ago, but motorized bicycle bug bit me again!

GoldenMotor.com

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
Threw away the stupid bleepin' China 80cc months ago, it left me stranded so many times I chucked it and vowed never again. Wellll....I peeked here again on Friday night and spent the whole weekend on the net wanting another motorbike! Thanks guys, great, sucked in again.

This time, i'm definitely going 4 stroke with a real carb. Never again get a problematic "China" setup again, except of course, a "China" 4 stroke! Debated on a Staton Honda setup, but since I'm a cheap bast*** and prefer the looks on an in frame, I'd likely go with this49cc Complete Gas Powered Engine Kit - $369.99. From what i read, it's the same Duro Power 4 stroke the Dax Titan uses. Gearbox (Grubee?) has gotten mixed reviews with mostly noise problems, but it's cheaper. And I'll get a super simple and cheap Target Schwinn instead of my using higher end mountain bike i used last time. I LOVE the beach cruiser styling. Should end up right around $500 initially.

We'll see if the wife lets me get it. I'll have to sell a few things to avoid pulling from savings, but if I end up with something actually reliable, I'd be in heaven!

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
Re: gave up months ago, but MB bug bit me again!

It was interesting to see how many folks I recognized from before....but then again, it seems like I was away for waaayyyyy longer than i was.

Absocold

Jul 26, 2008
Twin Cities, MN

I just installed the stage II whopper stopper on my Target Jaguar. It has been amazing so far! While I hear that the gear box's are notoriously loud, I can't even hear mine. That might be because I followed Houghmade's advice and packed the gearbox with marine grease instead of the stuff they tell you to. In any case I would recommend the kit... so far. =) Enjoy!

PS.. I also threw away my old China girl because she let me down too many times. But the weather starting to warm up drew me back. lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Welcome back City. Good to see ya.

Just got my first 4 smoker too. (Honda GX50) I am amazed with the Grubee mounting and GB. The quality is great

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA

Saw a cruiser on craigslist, just like i was looking for. Being late I didn't call. So next morning tried tpo pull it up and the ad had expired, DOH! He said he had multiple bikes for sale, so doubt ad gone due to sale. So I went to Target to get the Schwinn Jaguar, decent enough quality, excpet for banged up a bit from customer abuse. I asked for a new one in a box, but they refused to sell it for liability fears. They had to put it together themselves....lame! Like I trust a stockboy to put my ride together! Then I went to a bike shop and tried out an Electra (not sure which one) and the quality was dramatically better, although pushing three times the cost.....siiiggghhhhh

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

I wouldn't give up on craigslist. search on bike or bicycle, not just in the bike section. A guy put 4 bike on here (Phoenix) for $45 each I was looking for a rim. Turns out he cleans out forclosures. Silly me I bought 2 bikes, just for the rims. One day there was a "Specialized" frame, for $50, I saw the same frame in a bike shop for $800.

I can't believe Target wouldn't sell one in the box.

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA

I called up Target and asked manager if the the stockboy was on the level for refusing sale of bike in a box, while on their website it says very clearly "assembly required". Boss said it's true, they can't have the liability of a customer putting a bike together and hurting themselves......ummm, so you prefer the direct liabilty of your own employee coming back from break and forgetting to tighten a bolt and someone dies?! What's up with that?!? And somehow if it is shipped to you vs handed to you, liabilities are different?!?!

Then I asked how many other products they have in their store that require assembly. Any furniture, hammocks, trampolines, etc? ummm......those are different, he says, less risky...again, you prefer the risk of your stockboy putting it together?

What if I gave you the cash and didn't take a receipt, could I get the box? Nope. (Good thing, because it'd probably have a "legitimate" problem I'd need to return it for and not have a receipt.)

I'm upset enough to go elsewhere, but the $129 sale price is too good to pass up. And driving to store is way better than paying and waiting for shipping. (same price and not in stock online).

Craigslist bikes for good price sell so very quickly, I guess I'll ask Target to build one and not let a customer touch it before I pick it up, then disassemble/rebuild myself.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

Tell them you want to watch. If they won't let you, make sure you have a statement from the store manager that you could not get it in the box. Remind the manager that his store is liable if somenthing happens. You also might remind the manager that the bike is preassembled in the box already and his store is liable for the unknown worker that put it in the box.

You could head on down the road to another Target it seems like most of them list the bike in stock. 9-10 stores within 30 miles of Santa Cruz have it listed as in stock.

PS My neighbor has the Jag with an 80 on it. He rides it everyday to work. It used to be 15 miles to work, now not so far maybe a mile. He has welded it a few times, but the line on it are cool.

PPS I bet this is gone Schwinn point Beach 7 spped cruiser

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn

When my buddy and I went to a wally world to look at bikes we saw the orange Moondog. They had one on the shelf and I didn't like how it was assembled. We asked the manager if they had one in the box. He checked, they did and my friend got the one still in the box. It didn't seem to be any problem at all.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN

If you take your time mounting up that 4 stroke and use grease, I think you wil be happy. Most people seem to like that HS clone engine of the Honda. I've heard good things. I use a Honda, and those who have used both say it has a bit more power, but like i said, that HS engine will probably make you happy and it's less expensive.