Ever had your hand run over by a truck?

GoldenMotor.com

zeroviral

Oct 20, 2013
Staten Island, NY
so going home from visiting my brother at his deli job, it was just yesterday I had the bike running for a few days. rode it to school and work once each. a distance of 16mi~ each back and to.

so as I'm coming home I have the green and I'm in the bike lane. dude at the light decides to flick right quickly in which case I had no time to break. I avoided a frontal collision by turning right myself, flew off the bike into the street on my face, just as the back right wheel rolls over my hand. I jump up after this, pull my gloves off and my fingers are all out of place. this is my dominant hand. bent all kinds of ways.

guy hops out, throws my bike in the truck,( its a ford f-350...diesel pickup truck) and drives me to the hospital, offers to pay for it all. I have no insurance so sounds good to me.

they've got me staying here for two days while the swelling goes down so they can decide what course of action to take. I was lucky

anyone else have a crazy accident? I'm in excruciating pain even with percs and motphine and od like some good reads lol. thanks all.

p.s. bike only suffered a broken front rim.

Last edited by a moderator:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Wow. I'm glad the truck didn't run over your whole body. What a crash. A friend of mine had his foot run over when he stepped off a curb in Martinique. He hobbled around for a while and finally got surgery on it. My father in law got his hand squished in a log splitter. No surgery required but it hurt.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Can't say that I've ever had my hand run over by a truck. And I'm sorry it happened to you.

One thing worries me; did you get a police report? Did the police even get called?

It sure sounds like this guy at least recognized his stupid error and wanted to make it as right as possible. But it's amazing how little you can actually trust people on that.

zeroviral

Oct 20, 2013
Staten Island, NY
Can't say that I've ever had my hand run over by a truck. And I'm sorry it happened to you.

One thing worries me; did you get a police report? Did the police even get called?

It sure sounds like this guy at least recognized his stupid error and wanted to make it as right as possible. But it's amazing how little you can actually trust people on that.

got all his info. not my first accident...but I am never at fault. always got hit from other. got his SSN, policy #, picture of his license, and his phone #.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Ouch! I can't say I've ever had my hand run over by a truck, but I do have this wonderful decorative scar running the length of the middle finger on my left hand from when I managed to crush it while helping out on a brake overhaul on a truck.
That hurt quite enough for me, so I really feel for you and your poor hand.

Surprisingly my finger healed up way better than I expected and while there was some stiffness for about a year afterwards I eventually regained pretty much full movement and feeling despite me trying to flatten it out completely. Thirty years later it does let me know when there's going to be a cold change in the weather though.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
That's a new one on me! Hope you heal up quickly and completely!
You will sure have a good story to tell your grandkids!!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
HOO LEEE CRAP!! Lucky you didn't loose the whole thing! And decent of the Dude to stop / help and cooperate! Dang! Thats gotta smart some. (Gigigle) Pictures?? :)

zeroviral

Oct 20, 2013
Staten Island, NY
so I had surgery on Wednesday...it was a closed reduction with percutaneous pinning of the 3rd, 4th and 5th left digits. I'm suing for a couple hundred thousand, expecting at least $100k. This guy owes me a LOT for his negligence.

It was my writing hand and I am literally one semester away from getting my Bachelor's in Computer Science and Mechanical engineering from NYU Polytech. Ugh. I'm taking some pretty tough classes(the last of em) and need to write. Also I cannot work. I did nothing to warrant this at all.

Can't wait to hop back on the gas bike though!

dnut