Landmark Birthday.

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I've posted this photo before and today I'm doing it again for a special reason. The young lady on the back of the motorcycle would, 16 years later, become my mother.

Today Mom is 102 years old.

Thanks to Ludwig II and Beachcomber I found out the bike is an A.J.S. The photo was taken in 1927 and according to Mom when I asked her this morning the bike was about 3 years old at the time.
The photo was taken in a small village just outside Birmingham, England.

My uncle Doug is the young man on the bike with her.

http://s866.photobucket.com/user/speedydick/media/granddads motorcycle/Grandma2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
102! Wow, that's awesome!
I wish her a happy birthday!
I sit here and try to imagine watching technology progress as she watched it unfold before her eyes.
Then think of them sitting side by side waay back then.
Just keeping it to motorcycles, What would the reaction be to say a Suzuki Hyabusa or a Honda CBX way back then...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wow, that is so cool. I remember the first time you posted it and I thought about old photos like that. They are so precious and as they and their subjects age they get even better.

Thanks for sharing Steve and wish her a happy one, and many more from all of us.

Tom

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The reaction to landing a modern high speed bike in those times would have been global. It really would be akin to a flying saucer landing, having a reliable, road going vehicle capable of going faster than most aircraft, accelerating at 1g for seconds at a time.

I'm glad we helped find what the bike was, it's not easy sometimes as so many companies used so many commonly supplied parts.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for sharing the great photo, Steve. So much has happened in the time she has been here with us. She was born before WWI. 1911 was a whole different world with horsepower by four leggeds giving way to motored vehicles. That old Indian tribute you're working on would have been newish when she was born (the original anyway). A very happy birthday to your Mum, Steve.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
To put into a proper context as to how old 102 is, Mom was 3 months and 3 weeks old when the Titanic sank.

Mom was an accomplished ballerina and a year after the photo was taken she was asked to dance with the London Ballet but the family was moving to Canada and her parent were not about to leave their 17 year old daughter behind in London.

My uncle was a WW2 fighter pilot and then later in the war he was tapped to fly over the Atlantic hunting submarines in flying boats. He said they managed to scare a few of them.
After the war he became a veterinary scientist who's specialty was chickens and he went on to develop 5 different tests that help identify diseases in chicken that are used worlds wide. He spent most of his career in Florida working for the state in a lab and for you Florida fellas he used to call Jacksonville "Up north. He was in Miami.

And speaking of the Titanic their father was in charge of making and installing the lighting in the ship for the Warnworth Electric company of Birmingham,England.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
GearNut'

She often talks about what she's seen such as the the first talking movies and how cars have improved over the years and what medical improvements that we take for granted today and diseases that took her friends lives when she was younger but the real history nut was her mother. When Grandma was bed ridden with cancer we had long talks about what she had seen over the years.
As she said so many inventions had happened in her lifetime from steam ships to steam trains evolving into modern diesel engines, the invention of flight, radio, television and electric lights, movies, telephones, cameras and all the old ways that disappeared in Moms lifetime and a little bit in mine. Grandma said it was something to have seen early aircraft to them putting a man in space happen in her lifetime.

She talked about Queen Victoria's death and funeral procession in great length.

When Mom was eleven they went on a summer holiday to the sea side and they watched a four masted ship coming into port. She said the sails were going up and down as the ship tacked into port and it glided up to the dock as the hawsers were thrown over to the men waiting to snub the ship to the dock. Grandma told her never to forget what she saw because she would never see it again and she didn't. The ship was bringing wheat from Australia and then was taking a load back and after that trip it was to be broken up for scrap. She told me about this a month ago.

As she said I would see improvements that she couldn't imagine like the cell phone and computers but the chance of me living to see much new invented was very slim.

Steve.