Need your honest advice!

GoldenMotor.com

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
So, Im wanting to build my first 4 stroke. My plans are to just purchase a HS142f 49cc kit and slap it on....ya know, get my feet wet before I dive in so to speak. But, the more I research, the more I want to "custom" build again.

I see that AGK has parts for the 49cc and the HF79cc. So, I guess my question is if I wanted to purchase the HF 79cc from harbor freight (there is one right by my house) is it really that much more difficult than the kit HS142f? AGK seems to have everything for the HF79cc I would need.

I just do not want to get in over my head and get discouraged is all.

I will have a rolling frame here shortly and am trying to get my ducks in a row...

Thanks in advance

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I would do the 79cc myself. Like you said AGK has all the parts for it. Get the intake and upgrade the carb it's worth it.

From what I have seen you build you should have no problems.

Let me know if you have any questions....

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Thanks CCC! I think was has me a little hesitant is the whole "Jackshaft" setup. Never dealt with one before, but this sure is the place to come if I can in a bind......

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
You won't be in over your head, my nephew just did his first bike with the jackshaft and HF set up. Never built anything before with Just the forum search for questions. You Can do it, those extra 30cc will make a difference.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yes, what Chain said. Plus, even with all the mental calisthenics and hair pulling perfecting a DIY. It is way more fun and a far better learning experience and just plain cooler doing it all your self.

The biggest problem I have making mounts is that the rears tend to slip down. But made one with a vise and a drill press that I really like. Looks like the engine is almost suspended in the hole. (in my wee lil brain any way)

Here is a build thread of mine; http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=23871 I got some great input and help from folks here and hope it can be of use to you as well.

MadMannArt

Aug 13, 2013
LongBeach, wa
I'm kind of in the same boat... I want to put a 4 stroke engine in my frame, but do not want to spend 1000 dollars doing so...
The idea was not to have to pedal, not go fast..
I am interested in what you come up with...
So far I am very unimpressed with Don Grubee's offerings although it was more customer support than complete junk... they could have resolved my issue and had a satisfied customer... too bad

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I am taking 7 to one odds she is gonna be a RunnerMike turns ....OK, I got nutton but bet she will be a Home built, designed by you, one of a kind, all your own.... and again, I got nutton. (but still bet non-kit)

Go Mike, Go Mike

MadMannArt

Aug 13, 2013
LongBeach, wa
I ordered a 4 stroke kit from gasbike, and a Huffy cruiser from amazon, in a vain attempt to motorvate.. It will be here Wednesday!
HOPEFULLY it will operate long enough to spend even MORE money on Bike #3...
Which I want to be a Qmatic/Honda set up, welded mount, ect, Blah-blah-blah
I have something to do in the shop all winter!
You folks have created a monster...
I bought my first motorized bicycle kit (66/80cc) in Aug this year...

KeithSeymour

Sep 23, 2013
Northern Virginia
I'm in the same boat teetering between Grubee kit and a 79cc hf. What is the difference in cost piecing together everything needed with the 79cc and the Grubee ($360). This is my first build so I don't have any spare mbp arts laying around.

Tang

Sep 29, 2013
Indianapolis
It might cost a little more to piece it together. All depends on how much you do your own building or buying of the parts. You'll spend more then you think if ya buy the kit. The throttle is total junk. I'm putting together my first mob and I wish I bought the pred, but I didn't have this forum when I bought it.
usflg

Last edited: