Minimum upgrades for the 212 predator... need advice

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thank you. That looks like a good combination from AGK. Also good to know about the 6,000 RPM range with the torque converter. I had gotten the impression that the converter would level out the RPM's and am glad to have that confirmed. I'll give long thought to that flywheel.
SB

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just a little info: I raced one of my bikes at the grange and never really told anyone what was in the bike... Just changed the valve springs to 18# and up graded the carb to a 22mm with a open exhaust.... The bike was fast.

I say 18# springs and a 22mm carb should make you real happy. Do the exhaust too.

Let me know if you have any questions SB
Exactly as Jeff has posted here....a 22mm Mikuni is plenty of carb for this engine and an easier throttle hook-up then the stock type carbs. 18lb. valve springs will keep the valves from floating with the modified exhaust and 22mm carb set-up and will be super reliable.....one pull starts!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the input, Scotto. My torque converter arrived today and I just this afternoon ordered the 22mm Mikuni carb. It will be another month or more before I open up the engine to remove the governor and replace the valve springs. By then I will have decided whether or not to change the flywheel. I feel good about this engine. With the carb ordered today I have roughly $310.00 invested in the drive train so far
SB.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Using a converter removes the rpm problem. cvt converters hold the engine at whatever rpm it's set for.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Thanks for the input, Scotto. My torque converter arrived today and I just this afternoon ordered the 22mm Mikuni carb. It will be another month or more before I open up the engine to remove the governor and replace the valve springs. By then I will have decided whether or not to change the flywheel. I feel good about this engine. With the carb ordered today I have roughly $310.00 invested in the drive train so far
SB.
youre beating up on your wallet for this one SB,

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
youre beating up on your wallet for this one SB,
Yes, Rick, that I am. And my wallet is never very fat since I live on my social security. For some reason this month I was kind of flush, having saved up some. I thought about going the 420 Predator route, but with the CVT I would have needed I would be at over double the expense.

I might have been able to go with your snowmobile suggestion, but as I thought about it I want new drive train parts and a clear route to follow which others can guide me through. If I should wreck the engine, which I think is unlikely, a replacement is affordable. It being smaller also has it's appeal both for when I put it in the Sprint as a two wheeler and later in the cyclecar.

In the long run my goal is to have alternate transportation to and from town 12 miles away. With gas prices as they are right now it isn't too bad, but when they jump again and they will, it makes things rough driving a 3/4 ton pickup with a big engine.

I had intended to P.M. you regarding either 17X 2.50 or 18X3.00 motorcycle wheels. Two front wheels of the same make so that the drum brakes are equal. I have a rear drive wheel in either 17" or 18" Nice chrome doesn't matter as I can paint them, but they do need to be sound. Got anything?
SB

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Thank you for your welcome input. What about the flywheel I keep getting warned about?
SB
Arc racing is getting ready to make a change to their flywheels, they are increasing timing from 28 deg to 32 deg. As a result, you can find billet Predator flywheels on sale for $99, a full fifty bucks off. If you ever wanted a deal on flywheels, now is the time.

Also, that second Harley is complete, you might find a little CPR will bring that motor back to life.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Unfortunately I'm all tapped out right now. Maybe they'll still be available at that price later on or better yet someone is upgrading and I can buy their used billet flywheel. Thanks Rich.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Rich said, "Also, that second Harley is complete, you might find a little CPR will bring that motor back to life."
From the pile of Harleys we got from my friend there were two that were very similar, both with engines & trannys. And I think both have the 125cc 2 strokes. They look the same. The bike in the photo has a wrecked fork but I think we can switch them and would have the makings for a complete bike. So, we (my youngest son and I) are first going to see if we can get a lost title for it, then take the best appearing engine down and see if we can bring it back to life. This would be for him. When your youngest kid is 33 you know you're getting old I guess in the worst case if the engine & tranny in both are dead, he could set it up with the Preddy & CVT... but that's his call and his wallet. So we're going to try to get titles for both it and the Sprint.
SB