Cheezy Plastic Covers........

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Did someone say cheesy plastic covers? Speaking of which, this is a cheesy plastic cover that used to be made of aluminium in this application. This is a later version of this throttle that was dubbed the 4-stroke version of it.

I must say that the design is much better, in that it let's brake lever full range of movement that the original version did not. They just decided to make it a little cheaper I guess but failed in one part of it's key components.......the plate that hold's the throttle housing together to keep your grip on the handlebars.

It's fine that they went from aluminum to a nylon plastic for the grip sleeve, BUT, the plate that used to be aluminum that held the throttle together is now made of cheap, brittle plastic that fails in no time! Not good.

The purpose of this post is not to rag on the manufacturer or the folks that sell these fine throttles, but a cure to simply fix it if it happens to you (which I am not selling). All you need is an older version of this throttle, or a scrap piece of 1/8" thick aluminum plate (or any other similar metal).

To do this, just make a template from the failed (or soon to fail) plastic plate and transfer it to the 1/8" aluminum plate. Cut the new plate and trim and file it to fit the throttle housing. Drill the 2 holes (and countersink) for the mounting screws. Then drill the large hole for the throttle sleeve to fit through. The thing is that hole has to be 1/4" larger in overall diameter than the original plastic piece to accommodate for the lack of shoulder recess on the new alloy plate for the nylon throttle sleeve.

If you make it this far in the fabrication of this plate, you'll understand what I'm saying here. You are also finished at this point......just test fit by putting it together.....fine tune if necessary and paint black to match original if you desire.

Here's some pics to get you started if you need to do this.....

This is the throttle of the topic:

broken plastic piece

aluminum scrap piece

Last edited: