Hello!!! (Long Island, NY)

GoldenMotor.com

XITruthIX

Aug 17, 2009
Long Island, NY
Whats goin on everyone im brand spankin new here, really lookin foward to building my 1st motor bike.... however I just discovered they're ILLEGAL in NY. Immediately getting to work on reform but we're gonna need help from everyone, lets make this public!

XITruthIX

Aug 17, 2009
Long Island, NY
No, electric assist is also still illegal although its in legislation currently and has been for sometime. Furthermore, all ive seen of the electric assist is they're dramatically more expensive to buy/build and their range is tremendously limited compared to gas assist, the difference of 30 miles (while pedal assisting) to over 75 miles (no pedal action required) is huge for me, as everything I would access with a motor assisted bike round trip would easily be 30 miles

hoverdude1

Aug 20, 2009
Long island
No, electric assist is also still illegal although its in legislation currently and has been for sometime. Furthermore, all ive seen of the electric assist is they're dramatically more expensive to buy/build and their range is tremendously limited compared to gas assist, the difference of 30 miles (while pedal assisting) to over 75 miles (no pedal action required) is huge for me, as everything I would access with a motor assisted bike round trip would easily be 30 miles
Im also grand spankin new to this forum. I had already purchased a kit from ebay, bought a new bike and already put it together and now i find its illegal. Kinda sucks. I got the hint these kits were illegal when i saw you cant buy them in new york but bought it anyway on ebay. It runs well, but the problem is, I broke my chain when riding it and cant find any replacements out hear so I have to order a new one.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Sounds like Mopeds are legal in NY. Maybe you could advertizse on Craigslist in a neighboring (motorbike legal) state that you want to trade your motor bike for a moped.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Welcome from California!
I am sorry to hear that NY is unreasonable with concerns towards incredibly efficient transportation.
I hope that y'all over there can bring a glint of logic to those in power and get MB's legal.
Good luck! :)

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
im in ny and i have a mb and i ride it every few days,i use it for short trips to the store and for going on rides on back roads or roads that have less traffic and i also pretend to peddal when theres traffic,no problems with police sofar,if i see any i slow down and peddal til there gone.

theres no mopeds or cheap cars under $1,000 right now where i live and im layed off of work right now,whats a person to do.i had a electric bike but it was slow and didnt go far,i switch to gas engine kit on bike,if i have problems with police i will sell the gas kit and go back to electric,but only if i have to.

my license is good.

Last edited:

markeatmark

Jun 17, 2009
jacksonville NC
New Jersey law is the same way. police never bothered me. butt if you get caught it a big ticket. no insurance and no registration. and if your license is suspended driving on the revoke list. and that will get you jail time