Seeking source for early type of gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

Orion1915

Jun 6, 2016
Ohio
Hello,this a separate but related thread to my 1900's-10's style motorized bicycle thread.It seemed my last remaining source for the box-style gas tanks has sold out.Everywhere it is sold out and I don't have any other vendors that has such.I know Sportsman Flyers has similar tanks but are expensive and not quite the right shape that I need.I was hoping if anyone here can point me to the right direction to someone that sells affordable versions of these tanks.I gladly appreciate the guidance.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Don't discount making your own...

A lot of those early tanks are just rectangular boxes, easily formed with sheet metal and simply soldiered.

Or perhaps a rectangular chunk of tubing that a local welding shop could put ends & bungs onto. Some builders have even used peanut tanks from kits or pvc plumbing pipe enclosed in foam & fiberglass shaped to resemble an old tank.

Try doing some searches here about DIY, homemade, etc... tanks. This place is full of great info!

-Kirk

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I have considered buying steel tube and a pair of domed end caps and making one. I might yet do that.

Orion1915

Jun 6, 2016
Ohio
Thanks all.I am a novice when it comes to working with metal so I'm not sure how well I'll accomplish it.I would love to do an easy build if it means getting such a tank.

Orion1915

Jun 6, 2016
Ohio
That's a wonderful idea and one I might do if all else fails.Seems these types pop up on the market often.I also am interested in under-the-seat tanks.Ghetto Bike seems to have the cheapest ones.Plus rear rack variants is an option too and a cheaper substitute till something better could be switched.The mower tanks are a good option to keep in mind,thank you for pointing that out.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I've mentioned it elsewhere on the forum, but it is possible to rivet and seal sheet metal using modern aircraft fuel tank 2 part sealing rubber.

New Imperial in the 1930s used rivets and fuel resistant rubber strip successfully.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Here's a link to do it yourself tanks. They sell the parts and 5" and 6" tubing by the foot as well as the bungs to weld in to attach the tank to the bike and the petcock outlet as well as filler caps. Domed or flat ends as well.
Probably not going to be cheap by the time you figure in the welding if you can't do it yourself.

You can make a gas tank from a 48oz juice can by punching two holes in it to drain out the juice and soldering them up again with silver solder. A bung for the petcock can be soldered into the bottom and a brass hose coupling and cap is soldered into the top.

Steve.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...g.com/&usg=AFQjCNEJbKxGtv3b87UDs_1JxoWUr4HGAw

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Here is what I was talking about for a juice can gas tank. Silverbear made a lot of them based on one made by a member called, Rockenstein. An apple juice can is probably the easiest to clean.

Punch two small holes in one end to drain it out. Use a 3/4" hole saw in a drill to make the hole for the filler. Solder in a 3/4" copper female threaded pipe fitting using silver solder. Silver solder is stronger and works better.

Thread a 3/4" brass hose connector into the copper fitting. These fittings are threaded on both ends and have a ring in the middle or sometimes a multi sided ring so you can tighten it with a wrench. The cap is threaded brass with a knurled surface so you can turn it on to the brass connector.
These can be found in Lowe's or Home Depot's plumbing section as well as any good hardware store.

Buy a pet cock from the internet or a lawn mower/automotive supply store and get a matching fitting to solder into the can from any of the above suppliers. Brass or copper are the easiest to solder in.

Hope this helps and if you go to the google custom search at the top of the page and put in "Juice can gas tank" you will find a lot of tanks that people have made.

Here is one of the ones that Silverbear made.

Steve.

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22946&d=1270900139