Huffy board track racer

GoldenMotor.com

swoodard23

Aug 26, 2014
Texas
Hi all,
This is my first bicycle build. I have built a few cars, but have always admired the cafe racer bikes and board track style bicycles. I am building one of each. I found this bicycle in like new condition and decided to go for it. I like to take pictures so I hope you enjoy.

swoodard23

Aug 26, 2014
Texas

My favorite thing so far... The headlight! Not really board track appropriate but still really cool. Came from a vintage unity spotlight. Also sporting a more angled stem.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm not being critical and I mean no disrespect because you might have a very good reason. But, why is the fuel tank installed backwards?

Nevertheless you're well on your way to a good looking machine. Keep us posted on your progress.

Tom

swoodard23

Aug 26, 2014
Texas
The tank is from a honda s90. It is an unusual tank, but is facing the correct direction. I'm sure it is not everyone's cup of tea, but I kind of dig it. I thought of using a derringer style tank but liked the idea of being unique without having to make something from scratch.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I certainly hope you took no offense. I didn't mean it that way in the least. Thank you for explaining and upon second look I can see what you mean.

The all important thing is that it pleases you. If you like the way it looks that is what matters.
As I said before, you are building a good looking bike and the end results will be impressive. Please keep us up to date on the progress.

Tom

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
its too bad you couldnt lower the rear of the tank just a smidge to give it a hint of taper, but that would off sent fuel level and leave you dead with soime fuel still in the tank. just my taste. i ilke what you ahve done thus far.

care to give more detail on the rear axle set up?

swoodard23

Aug 26, 2014
Texas
I have been playing with colors and think I am going to go all black and chrome. I need to bend the exhaust so it follows the down tube better and keep it from hanging so low. I hate to discolor the pipe but do not see a way around it.

swoodard23

Aug 26, 2014
Texas
I extended the rear by 4" using 1/4" flat steel. It is solid. There is a nice board track replica on ebay now that uses the same method. I eventually want to install a 3 speed hub and jackshaft kit.

Ronzworld

Feb 21, 2014
Regina,Saskatchewan
I like the looks of your build .... I'm wondering if you've ever tried the rear wheel 'exstensions' on any other motorized bikes ? Do they hold up alright with the torque of the motor ? Other than that I think you have yourself a pretty cool build goin on !!

Last edited:

swoodard23

Aug 26, 2014
Texas
This is my first motored bicycle project. I have seen it done on other bicycles but am not certain how it will hold up. Not really concerned about the actual brackets, but the stock dropouts will have additional stress.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
add small braces that go forward to the seatstay. that would probably be the best you could get without reworking the whole rear end of the bike.

appon closer inspection of your extendars. i think you need to re do them some how. i see slots where you bolted them up. i would be very worried you hit a bump and things start to loosen, then there goes your wheel and your eating pavemetn.

Ronzworld

Feb 21, 2014
Regina,Saskatchewan
Yep .. I think I agree with graham52 ... it appears too me that you might be looking at some repair bills after a bump or 2 , pretty sure the motor will do it's own damage too them pretty quick as well ...(maybe medical bills too )
I've built in the nieghbourhood of around 65 bikes now and have had a couple that had weak chain stays that didn't last long under the torque of the motor ... and they were 'stock' just that they weren't that strong ... always keep in mind that if it looks like it may be a weak spot ... it probably is and is easier to fix before it tears ands rips apart under motor torque at the same time taking with it anything in it's path ( including the rider ) and ends with a costly lesson and maybe even the total loss of your bike .
Try this ; grab ahold of the seat post around where it meets with the top bar and at the same time grab the top of the rear wheel ... push and pull them in different directions ... is there any movement ? does it 'flex' ? Now try it by grabbing the back of the tire right up in the center ... how's it feel there ? If you can move the rear tire or even if it 'flex's' a little chances are the motor torque will do worse .
Safety has too go without comprimise ... ALWAYS ! once your in motion is too late too fix the problem.
Have fun with your project and enjoy the ride !!

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
Cool looking build!!!
As others posted, the rear extenders will take a beating and I easily see that rear wheel moving up rather quickly and smashing onto the seat. I would try to incorporate some type of support bracket to it.

Have fun. Looks phenomenal!

swoodard23

Aug 26, 2014
Texas

Wow guys! These things are fun. Cannot wait to get through the break in period so I can wind it out a little more, although, 20-25 feels pretty fast on a bike without suspension.